Scottish Cup success for Welfare sides

THERE was a great result in the Scottish Cup at the weekend as Clinton Thistle knocked out one of the favourites, Valley Bar, and New Deer made a great comeback scoring three goals in the last ten minutes.

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 9th November 2010, 9:16 am

Faithlie United and Bellslea were unlucky to progress having just been edged out.

In the Scottish Cup second round, Faithlie United were facing Fettercairn in their tie and were unlucky losing out by the odd goal in three. Barry Stephen scored for Faithlie United.

New Deer faced stiff opposition in Springers from Montrose. Scott Milne put New Deer in front but they soon found themselves 2-1 down. John Branaghan drew the home side level with a penalty. Again the visitors went 4-2 ahead with ten minutes to go then the New Deer begun their fightback with goals from Graham Pirie and an own goal and with the last kick of the game Barry Crighton won the tie for New Deer.

Bellslea were facing one of the favourites in Oakwood and both teams were locked at 2-2 at half time with Trevor Fleming and Lee Noble netting for the home side. However, Oakwood went on to score two second half goals to go through to the third round.

Clinton Thistle were facing Valley Bar, another of the big guns in the Cup. Noble brought a good save from Paterson in the away goal early on then a Falconer shot came back off the post. From a corner Paton had an easy finish to put the away side ahead.

Falconer drew Clinton level from a through ball from Whyte. The home side survived a scare as Albert Bruce had an overhead kick off the line to keep the score level.

Into the second half and Coulter made a dashing run down the left beating two players but Maitland came out to block. Coulter gave the away side the lead again with a left foot shot. Shortly after Watt had a chance to put Valley Bar further ahead but he miss-hit his penalty straight at Maitland.

With time running out Clinton earned themselves a penalty which Falconer slotted home to take the tie into extra time. Simon Whyte hit a terrific curling shot over the keeper and into the far corner of the net. Willie Noble added another a minute later when his shot was fumbled by Paterson and it rolled into the net. Whyte and Falconer had chances to score but couldn’t convert

In the Deejays Nightclub League, Elizabethan Link Up faced Rosehearty Thistle and a close game was expected and it was the home side that collected all three points with a narrow 2-1 win, the winning goals coming from Clint Cassie and Andy McKay. Rosehearty did get one goal back but couldn’t find a second.

Mormond Thistle finished their league season with a feast of goals after winning against S.t Drostans by 6-3 with a hatrick from Ross Brown, a brace from Barry Robertson and one from Darren Lawson. St. Drostans’ scorers were Jamie Wilson, JP McDonald and an own-goal.

Results as follows:

Deejays Nightclub League - Mormond Thistle 6, St Drostans 3; Elizabethan Link Up 2, Rosehearty Thistle 1.

Scottish Cup second round - Bellslea 2, Oakwood 4; Clinton Thistle 4, Valley Bar 2 (aet); New Deer 5, Springers 4; Faithlie United 1, Fettercairn 2.

Fixtures for Saturday, November 13:

Deejays Nightclub League - Invercairn United v St Combs; Elizabethan Link Up v Faithlie United; Clinton Thistle v St Drostans; Bellslea v New Pitsligo (kick-off 1.30pm.

Scottish Cup second round - Afton v Panasonic Tavern; Kincardine v Cheers; Crimond v Elgin Dream Team (kick-off 1.30pm).