Football: Longside slump to 3-1 home defeat

Another defeat for Longside but again they created enough chances to get something from the game but the lack of goals is putting too much strain on the defence, Skipper Ryan Donaldson had another superb game and didn’t deserve to finish on the losing side.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 4th December 2013, 5:13 am
LFC v Dyce (Neil Willox Photography): Longside striker Ben Danton is taken down inside the goal box by Dyce defender, giving a 1st half penalty opportunity for Longside.
LFC v Dyce (Neil Willox Photography): Longside striker Ben Danton is taken down inside the goal box by Dyce defender, giving a 1st half penalty opportunity for Longside.

In the opening minute Duncan put Burr clear and his cross was deflected for a corner, Little’s kick was headed clear.

The visitors then piled on the pressure for the next 15 minutes without creating any clear cut chances.

Duncan then took a return pass from Daniel before firing in a shot which was well saved by Simpson.

Minutes later Davidson played the ball into the path of Little but he fired his shot well wide.

Donaldson then did well to intercept Whitfield before blocking a Forbes shot at the expense of a corner.

The home side were forced to make an early change when Danton replaced the injured Duncan.

The substitute was soon in action when a raced onto a Davidson pass but the Halls defence got back to clear.

Little finished off another fine move for Longside but again he fired the ball wide from the edge of the box.

A superb cross from Stuart was fisted clear by MacDonald with Hay waiting in the middle to score. Little found himself in a good position but he hesitated slightly and the defender got back to clear. A Marchi shot from 20 yards was blocked by the keeper, Danton followed up but his shot was deflected over the bar, Little’s corner was cleared upfield.

The home side were awarded a penalty in 28 minutes when Danton was upended in the box, Marchi’s kick was saved by Simpson.

A dangerous cross from Mackie was saved by MacDonald at the second attempt.

Longside were awarded a free kick 25 yards out, Marchi’s shot cannoned off the bar with the keeper beaten before it was cleared to safety.

Just before half time Forbes was inches wide with a header.

Longside started the second half with Butcher on in place of the injured Little.

The visitors were awarded a penalty in 55 minutes but Forbes saw his kick saved by MacDonald and Donaldson cleared the rebound for a corner.

Hall Russell took the lead in 59 minutes when Callum Innes got on the end of a long throw in to fire the ball home.

The home side equalised 3 minutes later when Jack Tait hit a shot come cross high into the far corner of the net.

A cross from Burr was knocked back into the middle by Tait but nobody was there and the chance was lost.

Davidson did well on the left before crossing into the middle for Butcher but he couldn’t direct his header on target.

Davidson again did well when he made his way into the box but his shot was Parried for a corner by Simpson, Tait’s kick was cleared as far as Whyte but his cross back into the middle went out for a goalkick.

Hall Russell took the lead again in 73 minutes when Lewis Forbes made amends for his earlier penalty miss by slipping the ball into the net.

A Tait cross was met by Davidson and his header was deflected for a corner which came to nothing. The visitors put the result beyond doubt when Dominic Rae scored from close range.

This Saturday Longside travel to play Stonehaven in the PMAC Group Superleague (ko:1.30pm)

Longside: MacDonald, Whyte, Daniel, Donaldson, Buchan, Tait, Burr, Little, Duncan, N.Davidson and Marchi.

Unused: Mair, Thomson, Danton, Butcher and Weir.

Referee: D.McFarlane