Peterhead's Ugie Hospital set to be declared 'surplus to requirements'

Ugie Hospital in Peterhead is set to be declared surplus to requirements – raising the possibility of the site being sold off.

By Kevin McRoberts
Tuesday, 30th March 2021, 8:03 am
Ugie Hospital is now empty and is not longer required for health and social care services.
Ugie Hospital is now empty and is not longer required for health and social care services.

The hospital was previously a base for the delivery of inpatient rehabilitation services and various outpatient services.

When the inpatient services were moved to Peterhead Community Hospital in November 2019, it was agreed that all other Aberdeenshire Health and Social Care Partnership (AHSCP) services and staff should also be relocated.

Now the partnership’s integrated joint board (IJB) is expected to confirm to NHS Grampian that the property is surplus to requirements.

In a report prepared for this week’s IJB meeting, Mark Simpson, AHSCP partnership manager (north), states: “The AHSCP has not identified an alternative use for the building, which remains in very poor condition.”

Once inpatient services had been consolidated at Peterhead Community Hospital, work was carried out to find improved accommodation for the remaining Partnership staff accommodated at Ugie Hospital.

Mr Simpson reports: “All Partnership services and staff were subsequently relocated by the end of 2020 and the building is currently empty.

“In-patient bed provision from Ugie Hospital was transferred to Peterhead Community Hospital in November 2019. This consolidation of inpatient services within Summers Ward went very smoothly, with both patients and staff reporting positively on the improved physical environment and improved access to diagnostics services. No detriment to patient flow has been identified.”

The outpatient services, which cover North Aberdeenshire as a whole, have been accommodated as follows: Childsmile – Fraserburgh; Old Age Psychiatry Community Psychiatry Nursing – Crimond Medical Centre; Collieburn Outreach – combination of home working and Fraserburgh Hospital; and Ugie Podiatry – Peterhead Health Centre.

Ugie Hospital is set in its own grounds overlooking the Ugie estuary and the golf course. Originally named the Burgh Hospital, it was built as a fever hospital and opened in 1807 with two wards, and an administration and staff accommodation block.

The hospital was renamed Ugie in 1953.