Wins keep coming for rejuvenated Cruden Bay side

Share this article

The opening minutes of this clash between Islavale and Cruden Bay saw both sides sizing each other up.

During that period a Donaldson free kick was easily dealt with by the Islavale defence and the Bay defence cleared a free kick from Mackie, which rebounded to Stewart only fior the Islavale player to head over.

Moir had to clear hurriedly a back pass from Mackie when put under pressure by Goodwin, then Hector made a good run from his own defence in the Bay half but the visitors’ defence held firm.

Macklin then wasted a free kick putting the ball out for a goal kick. Neat interplay from the Bay attack ended with Moir making a brilliant save from Goodwin, while at the other end Glennie was fortunate from Stewart’s cross; the Bay keeper collecting the ball at the second attempt.

A Collins free kick in the Bay half was headed wide by Shand.

Goodwin found himself free in a Bay attack but again Moir made a great save diving to his right to turn the ball away. Goodwin then put a ball through the Islavale defence, which Lynch just failed to collect.

A Henderson shot went just over the bar and in another Islavale attack Shand put the ball through to Barron, the latter, however, put his shot wide.

Glennie did well to come off his line to collect a through ball. Islavale pressed in the closing minutes of the half with Cruickshank wasting an opportunity when he failed to find Stables.

Just on half time, Donaldson made a good run down the right, but his final cross was easily dealt with by the Islavale defence.

Islavale started the second half pushing back the Bay defence. Johnny Watson made a timely tackle to clear the Bay’s lines and Glennie had to move quickly to punch clear as Islavale continued to press.

However, the Bay weathered the storm and fought their way back into the game. Their resilience was almost rewarded after 52 minutes when they won a corner on the left - the ball broked to Cadger, but the midfielder’s volley rebounded off the bar.

The Bay were now in control, but Islavale had a chance when Shand headed wide from a Collins free kick.

A Johnny Watson run at the heart of the Islavale defence caused problems, but their defence eventually managed to clear, then Goodwin then had a shot which was well saved by Moir.

The Bay’s pressure was finally rewarded on the hour mark when neat interplay by the Bay attack ended with Cadger volleying the ball past Moir. In another Bay attack Morrison saw his shot go over. Morrison then won the ball on the half way line and put the ball through to Goodwin whose effort went wide.

Islavale lost the services of Hector following a second yellow card - both apparently for dissent.

Islavale did manage sporadic attacks and in one, Henderson’s shot was easily collected by Glennie.

Substitute Webster shot wide on the turn following a through ball from Johnny Watson and a free kick from the same player was volleyed over by Goodwin.

Glennie was fortunate when he misjudged a free kick from Collins but Shaw got back to clear the danger.

In 79 minutes the Bay got the second goal, their pressure deserved when Lynch steered home Morrison’s cross from the left. This was a thoroughly workmanlike performance by the Bay with the whole team playing well.

Cruden Bay: Glennie, Donaldson, Johnny Watson, Shaw, Macklin, Morrison, Cadger, Irvine, Goodwin, Lynch, James Watson. Subs: Webster, Wedderburn, Thompson, Danny Watson, Wilson.