Valiant cup effort from Longside

editorial image

Longside gave a very good account of themselves in this Scottish Junior Cup match against Newtongrange Star and were unlucky not to take the Edinburgh side to a replay.

Their hosts were glad to hear the final whistle and did admit that maybe a draw would have been a fairer result.

The Davidson Park lads all played their part but special mention must surely go to defenders Wheeler and Donaldson who were outstanding for the 90 minutes.

Now the Buchan boys must lift their heads in preparation for Saturday ‘s trip to face Lewis Utd in the Superleague (ko 2.30pm).

Looming back at Saturday’s encounter, in the third minute Graham was sent clear by MacDonald but Thomson came out of his goal to make a superb save at the expense of a corner which came to nothing.

The visitors replied by forcing three corners in quick succession without any success. A MacDonald corner was cleared as far as Forster but his header went over the bar.

Longside took the lead in the 16th minute when Paul Campbell rose to head a Porter cross past McGarrie. MacDonald beat the offside trap before running through on goal but Thomson was the savior for Longside again.

The visitors were dealt a blow in 28 minutes when Whyte replaced the injured Porter. Campbell did well to weave past a few defenders before shooting wide from 25 yards. Donaldson bravely headed clear as Graham looked set to score.

The home side piled on the pressure as they looked for the equaliser and Craik, Donaldson and Wheeler all made timely interceptions to keep their goal in tact. Thomson then got in on the act when he made a brilliant one handed save to turn away a Donnely header.

Newtongrange’s persistence paid off after 39 minutes when they scored the equaliser. Alistair Forster drifted through the Longside defence before coolly clipping the ball over Thomson. A Norris free kick was played into the path of Usher by Whyte but he fired the ball over the bar from 15 yards.

The home side took the lead in 52 minutes when a mistake in the Longside defence allowed Graham to take the ball round Thomson before finding Forster and a scored from eight yards.

Campbell played the ball out to Whyte and he sent over a superb cross but their was no-one in the middle to get on the end of it and the chance was lost. Longside were awarded a free kick, Whyte put in a great delivery whicj keeper McGarrie spilled but the defence scrambled the ball clear.

A Tolmie shot was deflected for a corner, from the resultant kick Park cleared Donnely’s header off the line. Graham had a great chance to increase the lead when he showed good control but he poked his shot wide.

Longside made a second change when Black replaced Campbell. A great cross from Park almost reached Whyte arriving at the far post but McManus got there first to head the ball for a corner, Whyte’s kick was headed clear.

The visitors had a let off when Cherrie’s shot came back off the post with Thomson beaten. Beattie had the ball in the Longside net but it was ruled offside.

Longside : Thomson, Beddie, Wheeler, Donaldson, Craik, Usher,

Norris, Park, Geddes, Campbell and Porter. Subs: Biack, Whyte, Bruce, Butcher.