They think it’s all over... well it is now!

Share this article

“They think its all over…..well it is now!”

This defeat, coupled with a win for nearest relegation rivals Stenhousemuir, doomed Peterhead to Division Three next season.

The news came as no surprise as the Blue Toon made it 15 games without a win in a match that followed the familiar pattern of missed chances and sloppy defending.

Perhaps the confirmation of their future in Division Two with two games remaining is for the best as it will give manager John Sheran a bit more time to formulate his plans for next season and give his fringe players a run out.

East Fife still had a promotion play-off spot to aim for and it showed as they played with a purpose that the home side lacked despite the knowledge that it was still mathematically possible to leapfrog Stenhousemuir.

The visitors led at the break thanks to a 28th minute goal. Ryan Wallace crossed, Craig Johnston shot and Davie Donald helped the ball into his own net attempting to clear.

The goal apart, chances were evenly shared out. The Blue Toon certainly could have been level or even in front. Davie Ross was the home side’s stand-out player and shot wide after 5 minutes before sending a shot crashing off the underside of the crossbar as half time approached.

He also saw a header from a Ryan Strachan cross well saved by Michael Brown just after the opener.

Throw in a Scott Ross header and one from Paul Tosh that was cleared off the line and anyone not at the match would be wondering why Peterhead drew a blank.

To put things in perspective, the Fifers also could have added to their tally. Former Balmoor favourite Booby Linn set up John Ovenstone from a free kick but the defender headed wide then Matthew Park threatened from a corner kick but Donald cleared his header when the ball looked goalbound.

Moments after the re-start Paul Emslie drew a magnificent save from Brown but when Nicky Clark hit the post from point blank range you just knew another day of despair for the home faithful was on the cards.

This was confirmed after 54 minutes when the luck that favours teams full of confidence broke for East Fife. A Linn corner found the head of Steve Hislop.

Paul Jarvie did well to save but the ball broke right into the path of David Muir who drilled a low shot into the corner and it was game, and indeed season, over.

To make matters worse, if that was possible, Martin Bavidge was injured with all three substitutes already on the pitch. As he painfully hobbled his way around the perimeter, Peterhead likewise limped towards the trap door out of the second division.

Peterhead: Jarvie, Donald, SS. Smith, S. Ross, MacDonald, Strachan (Sharp 49), Macdonald, D. Ross (Stephen 64), Emslie, Bavidge, Tosh (Wyness 72), Clark.

Attendance: 473