Peterhead end Airdrie’s run

Peterhead's Ryan Strachan celebrates his opener
Peterhead's Ryan Strachan celebrates his opener

Peterhead secured their first three points of 2015 with a hard fought win against Airdrieonians.

The North Lanarkshire club had gone five games unbeaten before Saturday as Jim McInally’s men broke the streak.

Jamie Stevenson celebrates his goal with Rory McAllister

Jamie Stevenson celebrates his goal with Rory McAllister

Peterhead started the game well and took the lead in the sixth minute.

Rory McAllister broke away down the left flank before delivering a sublime cross into the box for Ryan Strachan to head home.

The lead did not last long however as Airdrie drew level less than five minutes later through a long range drive from Dundee United loanee Scott Fraser.

Both sides had opportunities to take the lead in the first half with Peterhead’s best chance coming from Ryan Strachan and the home side’s from former Aberdeen and Inverness Caledonian Thistle striker Bryan Prunty, who was looking for his 100th career goal.

David Cox and Marc Fitzpatrick scrap for the ball

David Cox and Marc Fitzpatrick scrap for the ball

David Cox glanced a header wide from a corner for Peterhead then Scott Fraser hit the top of the visitors’ net with a lob.

It was three minutes before the break when Peterhead took the lead through former Motherwell and Scotland Under 21 international Mark Fitzpatrick.

The Airdrie defender put the ball in his own net 
from a corner.

One minute into the second half and Rory McAllister was ready to put the Blue Toon ahead before being taken down just outside the penalty area by 
Ben Richard-Everton.

After the Airdrie defender was booked, Jamie Stevenson stepped up and smashed home the free kick 
from 25 yards.

With a two goal advantage, Peterhead began to take control of the game and limited the home side’s opportunities.

Another Jamie Stevenson free kick was fumbled by Airdrie keeper Andy McNeil and Rory McAllister mis-placed a pass which would have put David Cox clean 
through on goal.

Nicky Riley also came close to bagging a goal on his first appearance since rejoining the club the day before.

Despite taking all three points, boss Jim McInally felt the performance lacked the quality his side 
were capable of.

Peterhead now have to focus on next Saturday’s crucial home tie against bottom side Sitrling Albion who will no doubt be dangerous having netted ten times in their last five appearances which have included a 2-1 win over Stenhousemuir and a 2-2 draw with Dunfermline.