Over 35s edge out the men in black

editorial image

NESFA referees took on a side of Over 35s over the festive period, with the older guys emerging triumphant at Peterhead’s Raemoss Park.

The first chance fell to the away side’s Thomson who flashed a shot wide of the goal.

From a short corner Coutts crossed and Thomson rose above the referees’ defence but his header went narrowly over the bar. From another corner Paterson got distance with his punched clearance.

At the other end Sturrock and McRobbie both had shots easily held by Farquhar. The Refs should have taken the lead when a Milne cross found an unmarked Bruce whose header was brilliantly saved by Farquhar.

A good move by Taylor and Davidson who then played in Milne but his shot went just passed the post.

Robertson hit a shot from the edge of the box which Paterson saved low to his right.

Soon after the Refs had a big penalty shout waived aside by referee Clark. The Over 35s took the lead just before half-time when a through ball was met by Robertson who chipped the keeper to take the lead.

From a poor kick out Paterson nearly gifted the away side another goal but Summers shot wide.

Moving into the second half and the Over 35s were well on top and when a poor clearance by Eden was deflected onto Bain and went into the net to make it 2-0. It was soon to be three when a Watson cross was headed home by Bain for his second.

Robertson made it 4-0 with a cool finish and it looked liked the Refs were tiring but back they came when a ball over the top found Davidson who then fired home to pull a goal back. A last-ditch tackle from Ritchie prevented the away side scoring again. Heatherwick swung in a dangerous corner which Farquhar just managed to punch over the bar under pressure.

The Refs managed to pull another goal back with a good move between Sturrock and McRobbie who fed Davidson to net his second.

Gordon came close to scoring but Eden made another good save.

At the other end the Refs were pushing hard and Farquhar made a terrific save from a McRobbie shot.

Both sides had chances but no more goals came and it ended with a win for the Over 35s select over the Referees.

Everyone involved would like to thank C. Norrie, C. Harvey, B. Falconer, D. Taylor, C. Paterson and G. Duncan for organising this Annual event. Thanks also got to Buchanhaven Hearts Junior FC for the use of their changing facilities and the Hearts Social Club for donating the food after the match and Jamie Clark for being the referee.

This match is played each year between a Referees select and an Over 35 select from the NESFA Football League. The total money raised is just over £400 with a worthy recipent to be chosen shortly. Last year it was the Fraserburgh RNLI.

Referees: C Paterson, G Smith Davidson, G Duncan, M Milne, R Sturrock, M Eden, S McKenzie, K Milne, D Taylor, G Heatherwick, J Eden, M Ritchie, C McRobbie, N Robertson, G Bruce, C Potten

Over 35s: G Thomson, N Reid, B Falconer, PMcPherson, R Buchan, E Bruce, J Watson, S Farquhar, K Urquhart, S Robertson, M Robertson, I Taylor, A Gordon, M Bain, R Sutherland, M Coutts, C King