Visiting Banff overcome plucky Peterhead with dominant win

Peterhead hold the line in their recent game against Banff
Peterhead hold the line in their recent game against Banff

With the 6 Nations in full flow local competitive rugby is few and far between at the moment but with a break in the internationals it was Peterhead’s turn to host Banff who are riding high in the league with high hopes of promotion.

The pitch was very heavy and wet in places with a gusty wind blowing across it.

Both sides were at full strength with Peterhead blooding some new players.

From the first whistle the forwards from both sides were tackling hard.

Banff had the upper hand in the set piece but Peterhead were working hard in the loose.

With some good phases of play Peterhead were making ground but excellent counter rucking saw Banff clear the danger.

The game swung backward and forward and was a scrappy affair with the referee handing out a number of penalties to both sides.

With neither side managing to score the first half drew to a close.

From the restart the game continued like the first half with neither side dominating.

Early on the referee decided to take action over the number of infringements and Peterhead saw one of their players sent to the bin for ten minutes.

This raised the Banff side and they started to dominate with the extra man.

This dominance ended with an unconverted try. Peterhead were tackling hard and managed to weather the storm until they were back to full strength.

This period had taken it out of them and Banff started to find gaps in the defence scoring another two tries, one converted.

With Scarisbrick now on the line-out was working well but the scrum was still finding it hard going.

From a line out in the Banff 22 the ball fell to Thacker who darted through a gap making good ground.

The ball was quickly recycled and McKee fed Scarisbrick who with ten metres to go was tackled just short of the line.

With great presence of mind in one movement he reached over and touched down on the line giving Peterhead a well deserved score.

Banff were back on the attack and managed two more tries before the final whistle.

Banff took a while to get in their stride but a dogged Peterhead defence kept them off their game for a large part of the match.

Peterhead had their chances but were unable to capitalise on their pressure whereas Banff took their chances well.

Peterhead host Fraserburgh on Saturday, March 5, with a 3pm start.