Peterhead dominate in first ever Toon v Fraserburgh derby

Peterhead dominated in the first ever Buchan derby against Fraserburgh.
Peterhead dominated in the first ever Buchan derby against Fraserburgh.

On Saturday Peterhead Rugby Club travelled to Fraserburgh for the first ever derby between the two clubs.

An early kick-off was arranged so both teams could catch the RWC 15 final between the All Blacks and Australia.

From the kick-off the ball was recovered and the Forwards started driving into the defenders.

With Scrum-half Hollis controlling the pods, the good turnout at training was showing in the control shown with ball in hand.

Fraserburgh were defending well and forced Peterhead back but the pressure eventually saw a line break from Cuthbertson who ran in his first try for Peterhead.

Peterhead were in the driving seat now and the forwards were dominating their Fraserburgh counterparts who defended manfully but conceded another try to N Smith soon after with Robertson converting.

With the forwards driving up the pitch Hollis released the backs and Dolman outstripped the defenders to score under the posts with Robertson again adding the extra points. Cuthbertson scored his second of the day soon after.

The Peterhead team were rampaging around now and Stand-off Thompson scored his debut try and Robertson was kicking well.

S Smith finished the first half scoring with Robertson converting.

With a number of changes at half time Peterhead received the kick-off and the forwards again set a good platform for Thompson to score his second of the day with Robertson converting.

Fraserburgh were coming into the game more with some good work putting the Peterhead defence to the test.

A loose ball was kicked ahead into the Peterhead try area and Peterhead just beat the chasing Fraserburgh player for a 22 drop out.

The forwards were again making inroads into the Fraserburgh half and with Christie making the extra man in the back line he gave a deft pass to D Smith who scored with Robertson again stepping up to convert.

Robertson then found himself on the score sheet with an excellent try.

The final play of the day saw Fraserburgh win their line-out and their scrum-half cleared his lines as far as winger Malone who ran the ball back. As he was tackled he popped the ball to Hollis who immediately released the backs. Some fine passing saw Linton stopped 5m short.

The supporting backs quickly recycled the ball and Hollis passed to a rampaging Scarisbrick to charge over the line for the final try with two Fraserburgh defenders hanging onto his coat tails.

Final score Fraserburgh 0, Peterhead 62.

Training continues Tuesdays and Thursdays at Catto Park. 7pm. All are welcome.