Peterhead prove to be just too powerful for Dyce side

Kris Chalmers flying high.
Kris Chalmers flying high.


Dyce 0

Peterhead 38

Peterhead had home advantage for the third consecutive Saturday but heavy rain on Friday had made Catto too wet to host the fixture.

With a full squad and substitutes Dyce looked like they were ready to put their poor form behind them. Peterhead had other ideas though and started strongly with the forwards continuing their good work from the previous week.

From a lineout Peterhead took clean ball and set a driving maul 10m out. With great control they crossed the Dyce line and Kris Chalmers touched down, with Scott Robertson converting.

From the restart Peterhead were back on the attack, Dyce were tackling manfully but the ball was well protected and recycled.

After a number of phases Daniel Smith crossed for an unconverted try. With some Dyce pressure Peterhead cleared to touch just into the Dyce half. From the Dyce lineout the ball went long missing their jumpers. Kris Chalmers was on the loose ball quickly and the ball was turned over.

From the base of the ruck captain Kyle Hutton, went on a blindside rampage, taking out three defenders with his strong running. Quick ball saw his second row partner Toby Johnson, deftly link with inside centre Ewan Massie who found the gap in the Dyce defence to race over for a try, Scott Robertson again added the conversion.

The game then became a bit fractious with Peterhead down to 14 men for the final ten minutes for an infringement. Dyce restarted the game with Peterhead now having to work up the slight slope of the pitch. Now back to full complement they were pressuring the Dyce line at will.

From another lineout the clean ball was driven to within a meter of the Dyce line.

From the ruck Kyle Hutton was over the whitewash but some sterling work from the Dyce defenders saw him held up. From the resultant attacking scrum Peterhead ran through a number of phases culminating in George Proctor scoring a try with Scott Robertson showing good consistency in converting it.

Peterhead were releasing their backs more and from some excellent work in the middle of the pitch the three quarters showed slick hands and with an overlap could have scored but the final pass was just forward. From the resultant scrum Dyce seemed to panic and the ball was passed wildly behind their posts. George Proctor, an ever present thorn in the side of the Dyce midfield, pounced on the loose ball for his second of the day.

From one ruck in front of their posts a wild pass missed their centre and the ball bounced loose. By the time the Dyce player had recovered the ball Daniel Smith was on him, tackling hard and driving him over his own try line. Stephen McKee was second man in the tackle and with great strength ripped the ball from the Dyce player’s hands and touched down for a well deserved score, Scott Robertson again converting. This was the final score of the game.