Peterhead fail to arrest poor performance against Police

Peterhead Rugby Club faced another loss at the weekend
Peterhead Rugby Club faced another loss at the weekend

Peterhead Rugby Club travelled to Northfield to play North Scotland Police on Saturday (December 5).

Peterhead have struggled on the road all season so were hoping for a turn of events but however it was not to be.

Police opted to play down hill on a pitch that was one of the most inclined that Peterhead have ever had the pleasure of playing on.

From the start Peterhead recovered the kick and started to make ground using their forward platform well and the backs were making good ground with ball in hand.

From a knock on it became apparent that Police lacked an experienced front row and the referee was forced to make the scrum uncontested meaning the team putting the ball in were allowed to win it without having to work.

This effectively neutralised what has been a real strength in the Peterhead armoury this season.

From this scrum Police spun the ball and their big centre evaded a number of tackles to dart through the line and score.

This seemed to put Peterhead under extreme pressure and they started to lose ball in contact and throw wild passes almost as if the game was near the end not the beginning.

Peterhead put themselves under immense pressure by not protecting the ball at the breakdown allowing the police forwards to turn over ball which in previous games had been secure.

This was how the first half continued with the Police centre scoring twice more and one other Bobby getting in on the act too.

Half time came round and Police were 24-0 up.

The second half started with Peterhead receiving the kick.

At half time the Police tight head prop had arrived and the scrum went back to un-contested.

This was put to the test quite quickly with Peterhead again proving unable to secure the ball in contact.

The scrum was working well from the start and put the police scrum half under pressure.

This slowed the ball to their backs but what ball they did get they were using well. Peterhead tackling improved now and the big centre was finding it difficult to make the space he had in the first half. Police still managed to score twice in the second half before Peterhead seemed to shake themselves out of their stupor and started to win decent ball at the breakdown and allowed the backs to make ground. From some good pressure wide Peterhead were awarded a penalty. Hollis took it quickly passing to Patterson. He gave a long pass to Chalmers who fed a waiting D Smith. He went round the Police defence to score an unconverted try. The game was slipping away now and Peterhead were determined to salvage some pride at least. The scrum was turning the screw on the Police forwards and from some excellent pressure the Peterhead backs released Robertson who used his pace to tear through the Police defence for the final score of the game.

Final score Police 36 Peterhead 10.

This was a poor Peterhead performance, littered with errors and poor tackling which allowed a police team who have struggled this season to post a good score at home.

Peterhead are at home to Aberdeen Uni Medics this Saturday with a 2pm kick-off

Training continues at Annandale Riding School on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm start.

All are welcome to come along and play.