First round action at Boyndie

KZ2 UK - Liam McGill (62) passes Walter Wallace (49)
KZ2 UK - Liam McGill (62) passes Walter Wallace (49)

The first round of Grampian Kart Club Championships took place at the Banff circuit on Sunday, April 13.

A westerly strong cold wild was keeping the wind turbines turning but kept the rain away.

Trophy winners

Trophy winners

The feature trophy of the day was the Dickie Bent Cup, which was for the driver who most impressed the marshals.

In the Honda Cadets, pole-sitter, Abbie Munro, took the lead from the lights and was never headed to take the victory by more than seven seconds.

With this display and along with the heats the marshals awarded her the Dickie Bent Cup.

Cameron Ross showed a good turn of speed to take a lonely second. A group of three, Craig Mann, Ben McLeod and Aiden Welch battled closely for third spot on the podium. Welch, who had made a poor start, was battling back by first getting McLeod and then Mann.

Senior Max - Race Winner Greig Sutherland (97)

Senior Max - Race Winner Greig Sutherland (97)

By the chequered flag he had opened a two second gap.

Mann was being hounded by McLeod right to the final corner. Mann was holding the defensive line into Pit Corner with McLeod coming down the outside.

The two touched which resulted in McLeod retiring on the spot and Mann taking fourth. Jonathan Edwards took fifth ahead of the best novice of the day, Ben Burnett, Logan Mann and Logan Blake.

Jack Simpson took his first final victory of the year with a convincing victory from his rivals in the Junior Max.

Junior Max - Tussle for second - Elliot McIntosh (57), Shaun Davidson (32), Jack Gordon (11)

Junior Max - Tussle for second - Elliot McIntosh (57), Shaun Davidson (32), Jack Gordon (11)

An intriguing battle took place for second between Elliot McIntosh, Jack Gordon and Shaun Davidson.

Davidson had got in front of the three when the mechanical flag was shown to McIntosh.

He had to pit and it emerged that he had lost his chain guard. Davidson took second by less than half a second from Gordon.

Michael Ogilvie had chased Abigail Ross for many laps and finally got on the inside a Kevin’s Korner and completed the move at Shirlaws to take fourth.

Honda Cadet - Battle for third - Aiden Welch (82), Craig Mann (36), Ben McLeod (48)

Honda Cadet - Battle for third - Aiden Welch (82), Craig Mann (36), Ben McLeod (48)

Ross finished fifth ahead of Robbie Souter and Mini Max driver Cameron Colville

In the Senior Max event,Greig Sutherland immediately got a few metres on Connor Wilson at the start. He

gradually increased the gap in the early laps. However at the halfway point Wilson began to close in on Sutherland.

Sutherland reacted and stretched the gap to 0.354 seconds at the chequered flag. A tight race long battle took place for third on the podium between Grant Cheesewright and Ross Shearer. On the final lap a cloud of dust rose at the end of Boyndie Straight. There had been a coming together and both were in the kitty litter.

As a result Liam Souter came home third closely followed by Lucy Grant and David Logan. Cheesewright limped across in sixth.

In the KZ2 UK (Gearbox), pole man Alistair Smith broke clear after a few laps. Following was Walter Wallace,

Michael Christie, Liam McGill and Gordon Hawton.

McGill moved up on Christie and set off in chase of Wallace. McGill got down the inside of Wallace at pit corner on lap 10. Suddenly the leader was missing and was spotted getting out of his kart at the top of the circuit. This handed the lead to McGill who went on to take his first victory of the season.

Wallace took second spot ahead of Christie. Hawton was holding off Neil MacLennan for the first half of the race but the latter squeezed past and took fourth at the flag. Hawton was followed home by Ian Duncan. Post race Smith’s engine had lost all compression.

Karen Edwards presented trophies in clubhouse after the meeting. The next race meeting takes place on Sunday, May 11. Visit the club’s website for more details.