Bumper-to-bumper action at Boyndie

Cadets on the formation lap at Grampian Kart Club.
Cadets on the formation lap at Grampian Kart Club.

The second round of the Boyndie Drome Open Challenge took place at the Banff circuit recently.

The weather forecast was for heavy rain but it did not arrive until the finals.

In the worst of the rain the Honda cadets took to the track. Pole man Aidan Welch grabbed the early lead from Craig Mann at the end of the first lap.

It was half way when Mann took the lead and opened a gap by the chequered flag. Welch took second.

Cameron Henderson had a consistent race for third. Adam Kinmond took fourth place on lap two from Logan Mann and these two held these positions to the end of the race.

Max Stancliffe took sixth after a breakdown on the first lap. Ritchie Matthew can home seventh ahead of Jonathan Edwards.

In the Junior MaxRoss Shearer took the early lead to which he was never challenged to take the victory.

Shaun Davidson had another strong showing to take second. A race long battle was between Elliot McIntosh and Lewis Rae was resolved two laps from the end in favour of Rae.

McIntosh took four followed home by Samuel Ashton.

The B final of the Prokarts was won by Sean Robertson with Ross Raffan runner-up progressing to back of the A final.

From the lights Marcus Sutherland got away from Michael Baron and Chris Walker in very wet conditions.

Walker took second place on the second tour. Sean Robertson had a great start from the back of the grid and by lap three he was third. Walker grabbed the lead on the fifth lap and went onto take the victory.

Robertson closed down Sutherland and cruised through to take second. However Robertson spun in sight of the chequered flag allowing Sutherland to take second. Robertson recovered to take third.

Stuart Wyness and Baron were having a good battle for fourth, changing positions several times and eventually came out in favour of the former.

Baron spun on the last lap in the loop, which allowed Mark Wyness through to fifth. Barron came home in sixth ahead of Adam Youngson and Garry Smith.

There was a great start for Michael Christie in the Senior Max event, allowing him to open up a gap from the start.

Connor Wilson and Yvonne Russell took up the chase. Russell moved to second on lap two.

It took five laps but she gradually caught Christie and out breaking move at the end of Boyndie Straight to grab the lead.

Russell pulled away and took the victory. Christie came home second with Wilson third. A three way battle for fourth was resolved in favour of Neil McWilliam ahead of Mal Forsyth and Chris Stirk. Liam Souter came home seventh ahead of Gary Clark and Mark Geraghty.

In the ICC (Gearbox, Ian Duncan took the early lead, which was greatly enhanced when the next three karts of Neil Anderson, Bobby Davidson and Chris Williamson came to a standstill at Kevin’s Korner.

Williamson recovered quickest followed by Anderson and Davidson. Duncan was untroubled and took the victory. Anderson gained second at the end of Boyndie Straight on lap six and held the position until the chequered flag. Williamson came home third ahead of Davidson and Rob Walker.

Club chairman Gavin Sutherland presented trophies in clubhouse.

The next race meeting takes place on Sunday, July 14.

For more information visit the club website www.grampiankartclub.com