Longside emerge as derby winners

editorial image
Share this article

LONGSIDE emerged victorious in their Buchan derby clash against Maud on Saturday.

Maud started the game well and could easily have taken the lead, but the home side came more into it and ran out comfortable winners in the end.

Neither team produced their best performance on the day but especially in a derby match it’s the result that counts.

Clark was presented with the first chance of the match but he fired the ball over from ten yards. Minutes later a Hall corner was headed clear by Whyte.

Marchi had the first chance for Longside when he tried a shot from just outside the box but his shot went straight to Joe Barbour. Usher then had a free kick for the home side but he overhit it and the chance was lost.

Hendry had a shot at the other end from 25 yards but his effort went over the bar. Butcher did well on the right and from his cross Usher couldn’t direct his header on target.

Luke Barbour found Willox in the box and he made space before testing Thomson with a shot but the keeper was equal to the task.

Longside opened the scoring on the half-hour mark when Joe Barbour failed to hold an Usher shot Sean Buitcher was first to react when he headed home from close range. A Simpson free kick found Luke Barbour but Thomson was well placed to make the save.

Butcher found himself in the clear and his chip shot was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Joe Barbour for a corner which came to nothing.

Longside made an enforced change in 37 minutes when Stainton replaced the injured Norris.

Two minutes later a Marchi free kick was headed home by Mark Stainton from 10 yards to give the home side a two goal lead.

A Willox free kick found Hendry but his shot was well saved by Thomson. A Marchi cross was met by Davidson but his glancing header went wide.

A Reid free kick was cleared as far as Hall but he fired the ball over the bar from 12 yards. Beddie sent Usher clear with a superb pass but Arthur got back to block his shot at the expense of a corner.

Stainton’s kick was cleared as far as Davidson and his cross was spilled by Joe Barbour, Marchi followed up but his shot was deflected for another corner. This time Stainton’s kick was met by Donaldson but his shot was scrambled clear for a third corner which came to nothing.

Maud made a change in 63 minutes when Clark was replaced by Fraser.

Marchi played a one two with Butcher and his shot was saved by Joe Barbour. Ritchie cut inside from the left for the visitors but Thomson was right behind his shot.

Chalmers replaced the injured Hendry for Maud.

The home side were reduced to ten men in 71 minutes when Donaldson was shown a red card after picking up his second yellow card for a foul on Fraser.

A poor clearance from Joe Barbour landed at Marchi and his 25 yard chip shot struck the bar before going out for a goalkick.

In the 73rd minute Longside added a third when a Stainton cross was blocked and Paul Campbell pounced to fire the ball high into the net from a difficult angle.

This Saturday Longside are at home to Culter and Maud are at home to FC Stoneywood in the Superleague (ko2pm).