Karting action in the wet

Wet condition welcomed the Grampian Kart Club drivers for the second round of the club championships and also the second round of the NKRA (Scottish Region) to the Boyndie Drome Circuit.

Tuesday, 17th May 2011, 3:11 pm

Feature trophies for the day were The Kenny McKay Shield for junior drivers and the JRD Cup for seniors (Non Gearbox)

In the Cadets final, from third on the grid Sam McKenzie got the best start to lead at the end of the first lap. Jamie Fraser, in the only Comer powered kart, and Jordan Donaldson were in hot pursuit.

These three opened a gap on the field. Donaldson secured second on lap five. McKenzie took the victory ahead of Donaldson and Fraser.

Reece Low maintained fourth through out and finished ahead of Michael MacPherson, Tushar Vivekanandan and Elliot McIntosh.

Turning to the Mini Max final and a quartet of Jack Simpson, Jamie Chick, Chloe Scott and Jack Williamson formed an early break.

Scott spun at MTM bend at half distance. Jack Williamson retired two laps later. Simpson went on to win by two seconds from Chick and the recovering Scott.

Jack Gordon took Finlay Hutchison two laps from the end to take fourth spot. Robert Forsythe, in the only TKM, finished sixth ahead of Lawrence White.

In the Junior Blue finals, Ciaran Haggerty had claimed pole position for the final and led away from Charles Wagner, Ben Lambie, Tommy Leckie, Blair Campbell and Cameron Brown.

Wagner grabbed the lead on the second tour. A three-way battle occurred for second between Lambie, Haggerty and Campbell allowed Wagner to escape and take the victory by three seconds.

The second place battle had resolved itself by half distance in favour of Campbell who was able to close a little on Wagner. Campbell took second from Lambie and Leckie. Keiran Murphy had came through the field after starting twelfth to claim fifth.

Josh Armstrong who had start second on the grid dropped right to the rear of the field recovered to come through to take sixth. Katie Brown came home seventh from Haggerty and Mark Ross.

Moving on to the Senior Max final and in the largest field of the day, there was lots of action in the early stages.

From third on the grid Darren Patrick had the best start and led at the end of the first lap from Kris Manett, Bruce Buchan, Andrew Buchan, Graham Clark and Richard Johnston.

On the second tour Andrew Buchan and Richard Johnson collided and both retired.

Bruce Buchan and Clark moved through on Manett. On the fourth lap Bruce Buchan made his move into the lead which he held until the chequered flag.

Patrick was runner up by a second. Clark held onto third and was two seconds in front of Gregg Simpson. Nial Kinghorn came home fifth ahead of Kris Manett. Tony Strachan, who had came through from the back took seventh spot followed by top novice Mark Duthie.

In the Senior Blue final grid order was maintained for the first lap as Peter Moore, Fergus Barlow, Douglas Simpson, Martyn Morris and Colin MacNiven.

Simpson took Barlow on lap two and the order was set for the chequered flag. The three finished just over a second apart.

Morris held fourth throughout. Stuart Gray came though to claim fifth. Callum Miller and MacNiven were the next two home followed by Steve Barlow.

The ICC (Gearbox) final saw pole-man, Cliff Harper, take the early lead from Michael Christie.

However by the end of the second lap Christie had nosed in front. At the start of lap four, Christie came to a spinning halt, which looked like an engine cease.

Harper went on to take the victory with Garry Lobban under a second behind. Third was Neil Anderson.

Club Chairman, Gavin Sutherland, presented the trophies in the clubhouse after the meeting.

For more information on the club visit www.grampiankartclub.com