Wintry conditions make it a hard day at the office for Hearts

Share this article

BUCHANHAVEN Hearts took on Buckie Rovers in a Division 1 encounter at Raemoss Park on a very windy Saturday afternoon.

Buckie had the wind behind them and a cross from the right hand side by Thain just went past Mark Simpson’s post for an early scare.

Hearts couldn’t find much rythmn and they gave a goal away when a slack pass from Abolghassem was intercepted by Corbett who ran through which was spotted by Simpson but Lumsden followed up to shoot home to put Buckie ahead, 0-1.

Hearts tried hard to get back into the match and Glendinning won a corner off Fraser and Anderson saved McLoed’s corner with the Hearts attackers waiting to pounce.

Anderson saved again after a loose ball dropped in front of him with Duncan waiting again to pounce.

Hart then tried a shot from 20 yards but was well wide. Hearts had plenty of the ball now but the final pass was poor but in the 44th minute Ryan Duncan, after great play to create the space and chance advancing into the box and with the keeper to beat he put his shot well over the bar with the keeper showing him his left side of the goal.

Hearts now had the wind advantage and started to put Buckie under pressure right from the off.

A Glendinning cross was cleared by Mathieson as Ballard pressured him, then Sandison played a one-two with Ballard and his shot was blocked.

Hearts then subbed Burnett on for Abolghassem.

Hearts then equalised when good play down the right by Ryan Duncan saw him cut inside but his effort going across goal was deflected by Gauld and past his own keeper leaving him helpless to make it 1-1 and gave Hearts the break they deserved.

McLeod was next to have a shot but he shot wide from a good position. Ballard then went through on goal and with just Anderson to beat he couldn’t hit the target and the chance was missed.

Hearts were then awarded a free kick 25 yards out. Up stepped Glendinning who rifled the ball into the top corner which flew past the rooted Anderson to make it 2-1 Hearts.

Cunningham then replaced Glendinning and almost immediately he made an impact when he headed a Ryan Duncan cross at the back post just inches wide.

Duncan again went through on goal but he lost his control and footing at the vital moment and the chance was missed.

It was all one-way traffic now as Hearts were piling on the pressure and Ritchie came on for Duncan and then another chance fell to Ballard who should have scored but he again lost control and the ball was cleared again.

Hearts kept up the pressure and chance after chance was being squandered and they were still trying to get the vital third goal right up until the end but couldn’t add to the scoreline.

The very windy, cold and sleet conditions made it a hard day at the office for Hearts who were poor in the first half, but were significantly improved in the second half with chance after chance being created.

However, poor finishing seemed to be their downfall, albeit a wonder freekick from Glendinning which was worthy of winning any game and that proved to be the case.

To be fair to Buckie they defended well and made it hard for the Hearts.

Hearts’ next game is away to Inverness City in Division 1, with the kick off at 2pm.

Hearts: Simpson-GK, Clark, Campbell, Keith, Hart, Abolehassam, McLeod, Sandison, Ballard, Duncan, Glendinning. Subs: Ritchie, Cunningham, Pirie, Burnett