Whyte strike seals the points for Longside

Share this article

Longside travelled to play Banchory St.Ternan on Saturday in the PMAC group Superleague.

The home side got off to the best possible start by taking the lead in the opening minute, Craig Simpson picked up the ball and drove at the Longside defence before clipping the ball over Thomson from 15 yards.

A dangerous cross from Robertson was well blocked by Thomson.

A good move for Longside finished with Cardno’s shot being well saved by Knowles at the expense of a corner, Bruce’s cross was flicked goalwards by Cardno but again Knowles saved before Butcher followed up and his overhead kick clipped the bar before going out for a goalkick.

With 15 minutes gone Butcher was sent clear on goal but a timely tackle from Graham averted the danger. Banchory keeper Knowles made a fine double save to deny Craig Bruce and Cardno. Biskup tried a long range effort but it was well off target.

Duncan did well to get to the byeline and his cutback was missed by everyone before falling to Craig Bruce and his shot went past the post.

The home side forced a corner in 33 minutes and Simpson sent over a dangerous ball but the referee blew for an infringement.

A Bruce corner for Longside was met by Norris and he headed the ball across goal before it was scrambled clear.

With 42 minutes gone Banchory were awarded a free kick 25 yards out, Simpson’s fierce kick was blocked by the defensive wall before being cleared.

On the stroke of half time Thomson made a brilliant save to deny Henderson.

Longside had to make an enforced change a minute into the second half when Black hobbled off to be replaced by Whyte.

Duncan made space before firing in a shot from 25 yards but it was off target.

Henderson ran clear for the home side but again Thomson was equal to the task with Biskup following up but the Longside defence stood firm.

At the other end Duncan saw his goalbound shot from 25 yards brilliantly tipped round the post for a corner, Porter’s kick was cleared for another corner which was headed across by goal by Norris to Butcher but the Banchory defence scrambled the ball clear.

A Simpson cross was headed clear by Panton as far as Pyper on the edge of the box but he fired the ball wide. Longside equalised when an Arthur free kick found Beddie and his shot was saved, Norris got the ball back into the danger area and when Knowles spilled the ball Scott Porter was on hand to knock it home.

Minutes later they took the lead when a Porter corner was cleared out to Steven Whyte. He drilled a superb 25-yard shot into the net. A Biskup shot struck the post and went out for a goal kick.

Longside had a few chances to put the game out of reach but they couldn’t add to their two goals.

Thomson had to make a few vital saves in the closing minutes but along with his defence they held on for a morale boosting win.

This was a much improved performance from Longside who fully deserved to take away a vital three points.

This display sums up the sort of character and courage they will have to produce to see them climb up the table.

It was a better all round performance from everyone and hopefully they can put a run together.

This Saturday Longside are at home to Hall Russell United in the PMAC group Superleague with a 2pm kick-off.

LONGSIDE: Thomson, Black, Beddie, Arthur, Panton, Norris, Porter, Cardno, Duncan, Butcher and C.Bruce. Subs: Whyte, P.Bruce, Weir, Heatherwick and Usher.