Welfare sides in League Cup action

Share this article

IN THE Ship Inn League Cup quarter-final, Bellslea faced Clinton Thistle and the away side started the better and were quickly on top but failed to create a telling pass.

Play went from end to end until the 20th minute when Clinton’s Whyte was fouled 20 yards out on the left and the same player got up and curled the free kick into the corner of the net.

Daryl Alan was unlucky with a left foot shot which went narrowly wide of the post. Slater tried a shot from distance but McRobb easily saved.

Whyte was causing Bellslea lots of problems and he had a shot tipped over the bar by McRobb for a corner which was swung in to the back post where Cowe headed back across goal for the unmarked Falconer to score Clinton’s second goal.

The Clinton keeper nearly gifted the home side a goal when he spilled a Watt shot but gathered at the second attempt. Bellslea had two corners in a row and Summers headed across goal but keeper Stuart managed to clear.

Clinton scored a third from a Slater corner and Falconer scored with a deft header at the front post. Shortly after Fraser Watt pulled one back with a well-taken goal after a through ball left him one-on-one with Stuart. He had another chance but pulled his shot wide of the post.

J. Buchan then went off injured after a clash with keeper Stuart. In the end Clinton deserved to go into the semi-final with a well deserved win and Simon Whyte who received some harsh tackles in the match was outstanding for Clinton.

In another quarter-final match New Pitsligo entertained Invercairn United and a close game was predicted and was proved right.

The home side took the lead from a free kick which G. Stephen headed home but the away side scored twice before half time to take a slender 2-1 lead with goals from Bruce Strachan and Gilbert Paterson Jnr.

It stayed the same until the 75 minutes when Neil Christie scored to draw the home side level. The match went to a penalty shoot-out where the home side won 4-3 with the wining penalty being scored by Ryan Christie. Both teams ended the match with ten players after Stuart Stephen of Invercairn United and Jamie Wilson of New Pitsligo was red-carded.

In the Deejays Nightclub League, Elizabethan Link Up were facing the unbeaten St. Combs in a league game and it was the away side that keep their 100% record intact scoring four goals without reply.

The scorers were Peter Bruce with a brace and one from Gordon Smith and an .

In another league game St. Drostans had Cheers as visitors and with the wind behind them St. Drostans had the better of the first half and took the lead when Iain Summers was played in on goal. He finished the move by lobbing the out-rushing keeper for the first goal.

In the second half the away side had much more possession and it was a mistake by the home keeper which let the visitors to draw level when he dropped a cross, it fell to Bruce Cowe who fired home. Only a couple of good saves by Summers in the home goal kept the score level.

At the other end Milne was fouled in the away goal penalty box and the resulting penalty was scored by no 3. Cheers pressed hard to find another goal and left Summers Snr a great chance to finish the game but he managed to shoot wide of the post.

In a rearranged league match Mormond Thistle had Faithlie United as their opponents and it was Faithlie that collected their first three points of their league campaign scoring three goals and keeping a clean sheet. The goals came from Bob Stephen, Steven Taylor and Ryan Whyte.

On Saturday in the Terry Sutton memorial Cup first round, Invercairn United had Panasonic Tavern as opponents in a first round match and this one was always going to be a close game.

It ended in a 2-1 win for the home side which puts them through to the quarter-finals where they now face New Pitsligo.

The winning goals came from Gilbert Paterson and Nicki Tait and for the away side was Jay Watson.

In another first round match the in-form Clinton Thistle were hosts to New Deer and it ended in an eight-goal thriller which the home side won by 5-3 winning them another tie away to Bellslea in the quarter-finals.

In another day new Deer might have won as they played some great football but were unlucky that they had Clinton as opponents. Clinton’s goals were scored by Scott Falconer with a brace and one each from Willie Noble, Simon Whyte and Stuart Fowlie. New Deer’s scorers were a brace from James Ritchie and Gary Taylor.

Elizabethan Link Up faced St Drostans in their first round game and finally the Saints have a win against their bogey team with a fine 4-2 victory.

First to score was the old war horse Summers Snr for the second time in as many games then Sam Morrice and a brace from Ian Milne sealed their win.

Link Up replied with goals from A. McDonald and C. Buchan. Saints now face an away tie at Rosehearty Thistle.

New Pitsligo had a home tie against Cheers in their first round match which the home side won by scoring three goals without reply.

The winning goals came from Gibby Stephen with a brace and the other by Michael Fraser. This win earns another home tie against Invercairn United.


League Cup quarter-final - Bellslea 1, Clinton Thistle 3; New Pitsligo 2, Invercairn United 2 (New Pitsligo win 4-3 on pens).

Deejays Nightclub League - St Drostans 2, Cheers 1; Elizabethan Link Up 0, St Combs 4; Mormond Thistle 0, Faithlie United 4.

Terry Sutton Memorial Cup first round - New Pitsligo 3, Cheers 0; Clinton Thistle 5, New Deer 3; Invercairn United 2, Panasonic Tavern 1; Elizabethan Link Up 2, St Drostans 4.

Fixtures for Tuesday, May 10:

League - Mormond Thistle v Rosehearty Thistle (kick-off 7pm).

Wednesday, May 11:

Gordon Leask Memorial Cup quarter-final - New Pitsligo v Faithlie United.

Ship Inn League Cup quarter-final - St. Combs v Panasonic Tavern (kick-off 7pm). Saturday, May 14:

Deejays Nightclub League - Bellslea v Panasonic Tavern; Cheers v Elizabethan Link Up.

Gordon Leask Memorial Cup, second round - Mormond Thistle v St Drostans; Invercairn United v Cuminestown; quarter-final - St Combs v Clinton Thistle.

Ship Inn League Cup semi-final - New Pitsligo v New Deer (all 2pm kick-offs).