Welfare sides in cup action drama

IN the Terry Sutton Memorial Cup quarter-final, Mormond Thistle faced St. Combs.

The home side had the first chance when a Marc McQueen shot went narrowly wide. Peter Bruce saw his volley tipped over the bar by keeper Brow for a corner which was swung across and Niall Buchan headed against the post and Cardno put in the rebound.

McQueen again came close with a header at the back post but it came back off the bar. On 30 minutes a Michael Sutherland shot from 25 yards was deflected over the away side keeper to level the score.

Cardno was unlucky for St Combs after he hit the bar. The home side took the lead just before half time with a McQueen penalty. St Combs drew level on 46 minutes with a goal from Neil Taylor.

A long ball from Brown found Sutherland who lobbed the keeper to give Mormond the lead again. A Martin Smith cross was converted at the back post from Chris Thomson to give Mormond a two-goal lead.

Peter Bruce got one back for the visitors then Mormond had a second penalty which McQueen converted and St Combs were reduced to ten men as Niall Buchan was sent off.

Sutherland got his hatrick and the home side’s sixth with ten minutes remaining. Neil Taylor got another for the away side to finish the scoring.

This was a terrific win for Kenny’s boys who were led well by young Sutherland up front.

In the semi-final Bellslea started favourites when they had Rosehearty Thistle as opponents and it ended up with the home side hitting Rosehearty for ten with hit man Fraser Watt netting six, Daryl Allan two and one each from Chris Mackie and William Calder.

Replying for the visitors were Steven Duncan and Chris Grieve. Bellslea players Daryl Allan and William Calder both had penalties saved by Grant Reid.

In a Deejays Nightclub League game New Deer had Elizabethan Link Up as their opponents and at half time both sides had scored one goal each but in the second half the home side hit the goals netting five more to win by 6-1.

The winning goals came from Lewis Neil with a hatrick and one each from Willie Robbie, Barry Crighton and Kyle Tait and for the away side was Calum Angus.

Cheers were playing hosts to the free-scoring Clinton Thistle and it was the away side that got their seventh win in a row in the league scoring seven goals without reply.

The goals came from Malcolm Slater (2) and one each from Scott Falconer, Simon Whyte, Sean Ross, Scott Robertson and Scott Milne.

Elizabethan Link Up were facing Faithlie United and it ended in a win for the away side by 3-1. The winning goals were scored by Barry Stephen, Bob Stephen and Ryan Whyte and scoring for the home side was Kevin Mair.

The home side keeper Martin Sinclair, who has been in outstanding form this season, was in-form again this match.

St Drostans faced a Bellslea team knowing they could go back to the top of the league with a win and the away side went on to score five goals without reply.

Main striker Fraser Watt added another four goals to his tally this season and the other came from Craig Milne.

New Pitsligo had neighbours Mormond Thistle as their opponents and found themselves 3-0 down at half time. Pitsligo pulled one back before Mormond stretched their lead to three again.

Pitsligo pushed on and scored four more goals to make a great comeback to win by 5-4. The home side goals were scored by Neil Christie and Ryan Christie both with braces and one from Gibby Stephen.

Rosehearty Thistle entertained Cheers and after a disappointing semi-final result in midweek manager Coyle made seven changes to his starting line-up and the home side were looking to get back to winning ways.

They were 2 -1 ahead and then keeper Ross Stuart saved a penalty and then the home side went on to score another two goals to end up winning by 4-2.

The home scorers were Sean gray with a brace and one each from Scott Sim and Christopher Grieve and for the away side was an og.

Game of the day was a derby match between St Combs and Invercairn United. Smith opened up the Invercairn defence on the left and cut back for Taylor to shoot but it was blocked by G. Paterson Snr.

The first real chance of the match fell to the away side when Lee Noble was played in on goal but Gordon came off his line to save. Smith was unlucky to see his curled shot go just past the post.

The away side keeper Pirie was twice in action when he pushed a shot from Smith out for a corner and then from the resulting corner Dollman saw his shot saved by Pirie from six yards.

Lee Noble had a chance to increase the Invercairn lead but his shot was brilliantly saved by Gordon. The away side took the lead just before half time with a scrappy goal from Jamie Martin.

In to the second half and the home side drew level after a long ball over the Invercairn defence by Callaghan found Smith who lobbed the out-rushing Pirie. David Buchan was unlucky not to put the home side ahead when his left foot strike came back off the post.

John Smith put the home side ahead when he got in between Pirie and a defended to poke home.

The away side were presented with a gift of a chance to draw level when Dollman handled in the box.

Gilbert Paterson Snr stepped up to smash the ball into the top corner of the net. Back came the home side and a cross from Callaghan was not cleared and Smith was on hand to net his hatrick.

The away side were then reduced to ten players after Arron Gall was sent off. Invercairn pushed forward and with a minute remaining Gordon could only parry a Jamie Martin shot and Lee Noble was on hand to level once more.

Another terrific match in the Welfare with both sides committed to playing attacking football and it was played in a very sporting manner.


Terry Sutton Memorial Cup quarter-final - Mormond Thistle 6, St Combs 4;

semi-final - Bellslea 10, Rosehearty Thistle 2.

Deejays Nightclub League - Cheers 0, Clinton Thistle 7; Elizabethan Link Up 1, Faithlie United 3; St Combs 3, Invercairn United 3; St Drostans 0, Bellslea 5; New Pitsligo 5, Mormond

Thistle 4; Rosehearty Thistle 4, Cheers 1.

Fixtures for Tuesday, June 7:

League - Cheers v New Pitsligo; Rosehearty Thistle v Panasonic Tavern (kick-off 7pm).

Friday, June 9:

Ship Inn League Cup final - New Deer v Clinton Thistle (kick-off 7pm).

Saturday, June 11:

League - Invercairn United v Bellslea; Panasonic Tavern v New Pitsligo; Cheers v Mormond Thistle; St Combs v St Drostans (kick-off 2pm).