Weekend action from Welfare League and Cup

welfare football

In the Ship Inn League Cup semi-final, Mintlaw entertained New Pitsligo for a place in the final.

The visitors took a 3-2 lead in at half time but struck three quick goals in the second half to seal the tie.

Mintlaw FC did pull one more goal back but it was not enough for them to reach the final.

The winning goals came from Neil Christie and Michael Fraser who both netted two goals each and the others came from Peter Stewart and goal of the game from 30 yards was by Richard Wisely.

Mintlaw replied with goals from Shaun Jamison, Jamie Park and Dylan Fordyce.

In the Deejays Nightclub League New Deer met Faithlie.

In blustery conditions. New Deer had the first chance of the game when a Clark pass back fell short and Duncan nipped in but Coyle came sliding out and cleared the danger.

Faithlie then had two chances cleared off the line by Raper.

New Deer where using the wind to their advantage and were literally throwing everything at the Faithlie box including numerous Crighton throws but couldn’t capitalise.

Coyle and Duncan where having a good battle which looked to boil over but referee Milne stepped in to calm the situation down.

On the 25th minute Faithlie where awarded a penalty when ex-Faithlie player Campbell tripped Clark just in the box. With Dale Allan suspended, Sanderson stepped up and made no mistake.

Crighton was causing all sorts of problems with his long throws but Coyle was on his toes and managed to get his fist on the end of them.

The second half kicked off and New Deer took control of the game with Duncan and Milne causing problems.

New Deer took the lead in bizarre circumstances, Scott Milne whipped in a corner that was met by the head of Rory Campbell, Garden standing on the line volleyed the ball clear, but to both teams amazement the referee gave a goal!

New Deer continued to control the game and Campbell thought he had equalised when his header from a Milne corner looked to be heading in the top corner but Coyle made a great save tipping it over the bar.

Ten minutes later Milne let fly from 18 yards but Coyle pulled out another top drawer save. Falconer found himself through on goal but hesitated and the away keeper made a smart save.

New Deer continued to push for the winner and Robbie had two great chances but managed to screw the ball wide from six yards on both occasions.

With New Deer looking the more likely team to get a winner and pushing everyone forward left gaps at the back and Faithlie hit them on the counter attack with seconds left, a long ball found Reid through on goal and he made no mistake.

It was a hard one to take for George and the boys who put in a great performance, on another day they could have taken all three points.

Results as follows:

Deejays Nightclub League - Clinton Thistle 3, Mormond Thistle 0; Faithlie United 2 New Deer 1.

Ship Inn Cup semi-final - Mintlaw FC 3 New Pitsligo 6.

Fixtures for Saturday, September 14:

Deejays Nightclub League - New Pitsligo v St. Combs; New Deer v Elizabethan Link Up; Invercairn v Faithlie United.

Ship Inn League Cup semi-final - Bellslea v Clinton Thistle (all 2pm kick-off).