Time to ‘draw’ a line under these results


Peterhead had to make do with a point from their re-scheduled match against Elgin City last Wednesday night, but had a group of volunteers to thank for the game going ahead at all.

The Balmoor pitch passed a number of inspections before finally getting the go-ahead, after the club appealed to their support for help after last week’s inclement weather left the surface snowbound.

David Cox netted his first goal for the club, but Stuart Leslie struck on the hour to earn the visitors a point.

Rory McAllister was back in the starting eleven after being stuck on the bench for the draw with Stirling Albion and defeat to Elgin City through illness.

And it was Peterhead who had the better of the opening exchanges, with Scott McLaughlin hitting the post with a low shot after Jamie Redman had played him in.

A couple of minutes later, Robbie Winters split the Elgin defence with a superb pass, but McAllister took the ball too far as he tried to go round John Gibson in the Elgin goal. The striker recovered to play a pass across goal, but the visitors were able to clear their lines.

A further two minutes later, the deadlock was broken. It was a patient move down the left, but McLaughlin this time found Cox in the area, and he took a touch before firing across Gibson and into the far corner.

Elgin could have levelled two minutes before the break, Daniel Moore winning – and taking – a free kick wide on the left, but his cross was headed tamely into the arms of Graeme Smith by Mark Nicolson.

Smith was called into action again on the stroke of half-time, spreading himself to deny Craig Gunn after Sean Crichton’s ball out from defence.

Elgin had come alive, and continued to threaten shortly after the interval. Brian Cameron’s cross from the right looked dangerous, more so when Redman headed across the face of his own goal. The midfielder was a relieved man as the ball went out of play for a corner.

But it was a warning shot for what was to follow, and on the hour, Elgin drew level.

Moore again swung a free kick deep to the far post, and this time, Stuart Leslie was on hand to steer the ball home from close range.

Both sides had chances to take all three points; McAllister struck a fine effort wide with 15 minutes remaining, having taken a Scott Ross pass in his stride. A few minutes later, the same player saw his header from Steven Noble’s cross held by the keeper.

At the other end, Leslie should have done better when he was sent clear by Mark Nicolson, but shot straight at Smith with only the goalkeeper to beat.

But the points were to be shared, and the outcome was a fair reflection on a game that both sides enjoyed the better of in short spells.

PETERHEAD: G. Smith, Cowie, Noble, R. Smith, Ross, Strachan, Cox (Deasley78), Redman, McAllister, Winters (Bavidge 61), McLaughlin. Subs not used: Alexander, Trialist, Jarvie (gk)

Attendance: - 225