Three in a row for Clinton

editorial image
Share this article

Clinton started the better and they earned a corner which was curled in by Noble and after a scramble it was cleared by an overhead kick by Rutter.

Clinton took the lead on four minutes when G. Patterson Jnr found space on the right and his cross was met at the back post by Simon Whyte who headed home.

Two minutes later it was 2-0 after a Scott Milne shot beat McRobb and was heading slowly for the bottom corner of the net and Matthew Cowe made sure side-footing home.

On nine minutes Scott Milne again set up Simon Whyte to score his second and Clinton’s third.

Bellslea pulled a goal back after Mackie slid a ball through the Clinton defence and William Calder slotted under the out coming Summers.

Clinton then stretched their lead after Whyte played in Scott Milne and he calmly lifted the ball over McRobb and into the net.

Bob Buchan added a fifth just before half time with a well taken goal.

Bellslea had the first chance of the second half after a mistake in the Clinton defence let in Calder but Summers came off line quickly to save at the feet of Calder.

Scott Milne set up goal number six when his cross was fired in at the back post by Gilbert Patterson Jnr.

Bellslea then had Mackie, followed by Calder sent off.

On 77 minutes Simon Whyte completed his hatrick when he held off his marker and lobbed the out coming McRobb.

A poor kick out by Summers fell to Clark and his shot was goal-bound but Fowlie made a great block.

A mistake by G. Patterson Snr let in Jordan Clark and he slotted the ball home for Bellslea’s second.

Clinton were reduced to ten men after they had Jamie Martin red-carded. In the last minute of the game Robert Buchan picked the ball up 30 yards out and drove goal wards and unleashed a curling shot which found the top corner of the goals to complete the scoring.

Clinton Thistle had a great start scoring three early goals and Scott Milne was outstanding throughout the match causing problems for Bellslea who did make a better show in the second half but they were no match for Clinton in this form.

In the leauge, Cheers faced Faithlie United and the away side took the lead early on when they earned a penalty and Dale Allan sent the keeper the wrong way for the first goal.

Faithlie wasted a host of chances to increase their lead but it stayed at 1-0 until the second minute of the second half where Nathan Sandison scored their second.

Fraser Anderson should have made it three but his shot came back off the post.

Nathan Sandison and Fraser Anderson added two more to make it 4-0 but Cheers kept going and got a consolation goal near the end when Dan Simpson netted.

St Combs were hosts against Rosehearty Thistle and the home side kept their good form of late scoring nine goals without reply.

Left back James Cardno fired in a first half hatrick which included a penalty, John Smith and Neil Taylor netting a brace each, the latter with a cracking volley at the back post and one each from Nicky Tait and Joseph Dolman.

New Deer faced neighbours Mormond Thistle in their last league game and the home side took a two-goal lead through Ryan Norrie and Barry Crighton.

Mormond hit back and Martin Burnette and Raymond Taylor scored two to level the score at half time.

Ryan Norrie gave the home side the lead again and a Andy Strachan hit a brace and Kyle Tait added a sixth before Neil Thomson added a third for the away side to finish the scoring.

In the Victoria Coaches Cup quarter-final it was unlucky 13 for the home side St Drostans when they faced Faithlie United for a place in the semis as they went down by 13-1.

Fixtures for Saturday, September 18:

Deejays Nightclub League - Faithlie United v Bellslea; St Drostans v Mormond Thistle; New Pitsligo v Elizabethan Link Up.

Victoria Coaches Cup first round - St Combs v New Deer; Clinton Thistle v Rosehearty Thistle (kick-off 2pm)