Stonewyood make Maud fight for all three points

Share this article

SMAUD went into this game against bottom club FC Stoneywood with two great wins behind them, but they knew Saturday’s game would be every bit as hard with FC Stoneywood fighting for the their Superleague lives.

They went on the attack from kick-off and after five minutes McKechnie collected the ball on the opposition 18-yard line, made space for himself and hit a shot that Marwick in goal did well to hold.

On 12 minutes Maud gave away a soft free kick wide left and when the ball came into the penalty area, Stoneywood’s Stevenson headed the ball downwards and only inches past the Maud post.

Maud responded straight away with a counter which saw Willox take a shot from 20 yards that was narrowly over the bar. For the next ten minutes Maud pressed the opposition’s goal with some really attractive possession play in midfield building up to a succession of shots on goal that were either blocked by Stoneywood’s defence or hacked away.

Willox seemed to get one of the final shots that looked like it was on its way in but again it was blocked and cleared. This continuing pressure eventually paid off when Maud won another free kick on their right about 25 yards out. Middleton swung in a high ball that Fraser got on the end of and headed it down to Willox who this time made no mistake and buried the ball into the back of the net for the opening goal, which was no more that their play had deserved.

On 30 minutes more one-touch passing between Willox, MacDonald and finally Marchi resulted in a last ditch tackle from Stoneywood’s defence to stop another certain goal.

On 38 minutes Maud’s Arthur collected the ball on the half way line and ran at the Stoneywood defence, beating two defenders but his shot on goal was blocked away for a corner. A minute later Stoneywood had their best chance of the half when slack defending by Maud saw the ball go to Stoneywood’s Metelski who laid the ball dangerously into the box but it was only half cleared out to Brooks whose shot was narrowly over the Maud bar.

Just before half time Maud’s MacDonald won possession and shot on goal but it was wide of the mark. The first half closed with Maud on top but not comfortably and there was still work to be done to ensure the three points.

Maud started the second half very sluggishly and on 55 minutes Stoneywood had a chance to equalise when Stevenson broke down the right beating the defenders, but his low shot took a deflection and Simpson in Maud’s goal did well to smother the shot at the foot of the post. Maud won another free kick wide right after 58 minutes. MacDonald played a great ball into the penalty area where Fraser met it full on with a towering header but his direction was off and it sailed past the far post. Three minutes later another free kick in an almost identical position was this time taken by Fraser but Marwick saved the shot.

On 78 minutes yet another free kick was awarded to Maud 25 yards out from Stoneywood’s goal. This time Middleton placed the ball and hit a ferocious shot that sailed past the wall and Marwick in goal before he had chance to react for Maud’s second goal.

By now Stoneywood were forced to try long balls that the Maud defence swallowed up but five minutes from the end of the second half Maud substitute Stott collected the ball on the edge of the Stoenywood penalty area and clipped a great shot over Marwick and down bounding up what looked like inside the cross bar for the third goal before being hacked away.

Unfortunately the far side assistant didn’t see it and the goal was not given. The final whistle went with Maud full value for their third win on the bounce. Although not as good as the previous two weeks, Maud took their goals well and could have scored more but they will take the three points.

This week Maud are away in the Superleague to Hermes with a 2.30pm kick-off.

MAUD: M. Simpson,

Davidson, Arthur, K. Simpson, Fraser, Rae, McKechnie, MacDonald, Marchi, Willox, Middleton. Subs: Jamieson, Walker, Stott, Hall,

Morrison, Barbour.