Stalemate for Longside under the lights

Share this article

junior football

Longside 0

Fraserburgh Utd 0

Longside had Fraserburgh United as visitors on Friday night under the lights in the PMAC Group First Division East.

Parsons had the first chance of the game when he was playing in by Butcher, but Ross was quick to clear the danger for the visitors.

Aaron Garden went down on the edge of the box after a clash with Weir, but the referee waved play on.

A Fulton cross found Parsons but his header was straight at Flinn. Butcher saw his 25-yard strike gathered by Flinn also.

A free kick from Walker for the Broch was met by Hay but he headed wide from ten yards. Maitland sent over a wicked cross for the visitors but their was no-one on hand to take advantage.

The Longside defence survived a scare when a free kick was half cleared as far as Hay but his cross was saved by McGarva. Munro did well on the right for Longside and his low cross was well saved by Flinn.

A fine cross from Ramsay eluded everyone and went out for a goal kick.

The home side mad an explosive start to the second half when they forced a corner.

Ramsay’s kick was met by Butcher and his header crashed against the bar before the ball was cleared.

Parsons then sent Butcher clear and his shot from a tight angle was well saved by Flinn.

Hay fired a shot from the edge of the box over the bar.

Longside made a change on 55 minutes when Nicol Davidson replaced Ironside. The substitue was soon in action when he played the ball to Parsons but he sent his shot over the bar.

Buther then almost beat Flinn with a clever chip but his effort dipped over the bar.

The home side made a second change when Fraser Davidson replaced Parsons.

McGarva made a brilliant stop for Longside to keep the score level when he saved from Aaron Garden.

A Nicol Davidson corner was cleared out to Jamie Ramsay and his shot hit the top of the post before going to safety.

A Ramsay free kick was headed clear by Ross. At the other end it was the Broch’s turn to hit the woodwork but the home defence managed to scramble the ball clear.

A Jonathon Garden header flashed across the Longside goal before going out for a goal kick. Gordon replaced Butcher in 83 minutes and the striker did have the ball in the net but it was ruled out for offside.

Ramsay had hard luck in the closing minutes when he volleyed the ball narrowly wide.

Fraserburgh had the better of the first half and Longside the second.

The home side will think they should have won as they hit the woodwork three times, but a draw was probably a fair result.

Longside’s next game is away to Glentanar on Saturday in the PMAC Group First Division East with a 7.45pm kick-off.

LONGSIDE: McGarva, Fulton, Weir, Carr, Bain, Munro, Stott, Ironside, Butcher, Parsons, Ramsay. Subs: N. Davidson, F. Davidson, Gordon, Donald, Ferris.