St. Combs fight back to earn a point against Thistle

Share this article

IN THE Deejays Nightclub League, Clinton Thistle entertained St Combs and the home side took a three-goal lead with goals from Gilbert Patterson, Peter Humpheries and Scott Milne but the away side came fighting back with three goals in the last 15 minutes to earn a point.

They were scored by Mark McIntosh, Dan Callaghan and Mark McIntosh in the last minute.

New Deer had home advantage over Cheers in a league match and the home side took the lead on eight minutes when a corner was swung in and Graham Pirie was only a few yards out when his shot hit the back of the net. Robbie came close to doubling the home side lead but his header went wide of the post.

Leonard fired in a free kick which Stephen connected with but it went straight at Sanders in the home goal. The away side drew level on the half-hour mark when a Leonard free kick was headed against the post by Falconer but rebounded to Mark Atkinson who tapped home.

Cheers then went ahead when, from a Whyte cross, Scott Falconer directed the ball into the corner of the net. His goal celebration earned him a caution due to the player removing his shirt.

The same player should have made it 3-1 but he shot over from inside the six-yard box. Falconer came close again ten minutes into the second half but again he hit the post.

The same player hit a low drive which Sanders could only parry and Whyte was on hand to fire home to make it 3-1.

He then hit a corner which was dummied at the front post and Falconer slammed home their fourth. Falconer added a fifth to get his hatrick and substitute Martin Anderson scored a sixth.

New deer did get a consolation goal after a Lee Raper shot from 25 yards came back off the bar and Ian Duncan followed up to head into the net to complete the scoring.

Clinton Thistle faced Mormond Thistle in a league game and the home side netted all three points after they won by 7-1.

The scorers were Gilbert Patterson and Jamie Martin both with braces and one apiece from Robert Buchan, Scott Noble and Willie Noble. Replying for the visitors was Leslie Fulton.

Cheers faced a Bellslea side who are still continuing to improve. The home side had the first real chance on 15 minutes when a Craig Milne free kick was saved by Pirie.

The away side took the lead when Garden was played in on goal and he coolly slid the ball under Cowe and into the net.

A Lewis Tait free kick came close to doubling the away side’s lead but it was deflected wide for a corner. Calder had another great chance to score but fired wide.

On 37 minutes a brilliant goal from Aaron Gall doubled the away side’s lead from the edge of the box.

He curled the ball with the outside of his boot right into the top corner of the net.

On 40 minutes Mark White pulled one goal back when the Bellslea defence stood still and White headed home then from a corner the same played headed home the equaliser.

In the second half Calder missed from a short distance then Wemyss put the ball past the post after he was played in on goal.

A Calder shot beat Cowe in the home goal but it was cleared off the line. Wemyss finally took one of his chances to give Bellslea the lead again. Cheers stuck at it and were always a threat going forward. With only a couple of minutes remaining John Bruce struck home from 12 yards to earn the home side a point.

In the remaining league game champions New Pitsligo inflicted the first defeat of season on Faithlie United when the home side won by 4-2. .

In the Terry Sutton Memorial Cup quarter-final, Bellslea entertained new Pitsligo and both sides cancelled each other out and there were very few chances. Bellslea had the ball in the net but it was ruled offside.

Bellslea were beginning to put the away side under some pressure and had two chances to take the lead but one went over the bar then Reid in the away goal made a good stop.

At the other end Michael Stephen was causing the home defence some panic. Bellslea took the lead on 65 minutes from the penalty spot after Wisely fouled inside the box. Chris Mackie stepped up to fire home.

A minute later it was all square when a long throw-in by Scott Duncan found Michael Stephen who turned and shot home. On 68 minutes the same player shot home from 12 yards to put Pitsligo 2-1 ahead.

The away side were awarded a free kick on the edge of the Bellslea penalty box. Up stepped Michael Stephen whose shot was deflected off the wall and into the net to complete a fine win for Pitsligo.

In another quater-final Elizabethan Link Up faced the in-form St Combs and it resulted in a 10-2 win for the visitors who march into their second semi-final this year.

They led by 5-2 at half time and went on to score another five in the second half. The away scorers were John Smith who netted four, Nicky Tait with a hatrick and one each from Neil Taylor, David Buchan and Mark Fraser and for the home side was Arron McDonald and Jordan Guild.


Deejays Nightclub League - Clinton Thistle 3, St Combs 3; New Deer 2, Cheers 6; Clinton Thistle 7, Mormond Thistle 1; Cheers 3, Bellslea 3.

Terry Sutton Memorial Cup quarter-final - Bellslea 1, New Pitsligo 3; Elizabethan Link Up 2, St Combs 10.

Fixtures for Tuesday, May 22:

Deejays Nightclub League - Elizabethan Link Up v New Pitsligo; Clinton Thistle v Bellslea; Mormond Thistle v St Drostans.

Wednesday, May 23:

League - New Deer v St Combs; Cheers v Rosehearty Thistle (all 7pm kick-off).

Gordon Leask Memorial Cup semi-final - Bellslea v Grange United; St Combs v New Deer.

League - St Drostans v New Pitsligo; Rosehearty Thistle v Clinton Thistle (kick-off 2pm).

Sunday, May 27:

Highland Cup second round - Mormond Thistle v Elgin Albion; St Marnans v Faithlie United; Elizabethan Link Up v Banff Rovers.