Soft goals hurt Longside

editorial image
Share this article

MORE soft goals and more disappointment were the order of ther day when Longside took on Banks o’ Dee at the weekend.

The Davidson Park boys will have to stop giving away soft goals every week, as these errors mean that teams are not having to work to hard to get results.

They will have to get back to basics and first and foremost clear their lines and get the ball well out of the danger area.

The GMAC group superleague match kicked off with the home side winning two free kicks in the opening minutes but the Dee defence managed to get the ball clear. Usher did well on the right but his cross was a little too high for Cardno and he headed the ball wide. Greig set up a chance for Morrison at the other end but he fired his shot over the bar. A Little shot was deflected for a corner, Bruce’s kick was met by Ryan Donaldson and he headed home from ten yards.

Stainton had a good chance when he got on the end of a Duncan cross but he headed the ball straight at Stark. Thomson couldn’t hold onto a high ball under pressure from Jack but Cardno was on hand to clear the danger.

Longside were awarded a free kick just outside the box but Bruce sent his kick over the bar. Jack had a great chance to square matters when he ran onto a Morrison pass but he shot over the bar.

The visitors got back on level terms after a period of pressure in the 30th minute when the home defence struggled to get the ball out of the box andRobert Turnball volleyed the ball past Thomson.

A minute later they took the lead when Beddie was short with a backpass, Jack beat Thomson to the ball before squaring it for Liam McCall to put into the empty net.

In the 37th minute Dee scored a third when Stephen Jack capitalised on some more poor defending to slip the ball past Thomson. Porter came on at this point to replace the injured Little.

Stainton did well to win the ball back in the visitors box but his shot was well saved by Stark at the expense of a corner, Ushers kick was met by Donaldson but his glancing header went wide of the post.

Longside started the second half with Panton replacing the injured Black. Six minutes into the second period the visitors scored again, Jack took the ball round Thomson and passed it to David Greig and he scored easily.

Bruce tried a shot from 25 yards but his strike went just over the bar. Duncan was unlucky when he collected a Stainton pass but his shot was blocked before being cleared. Usher looked to have a strong claim for a penalty when he went down in the box but the referee waived play on.

Dee were awarded a penalty in 65 minutes when Jack was felled in the box, Richard Scaiffe made no mistake from the spot. Butcher replaced Usher soon after for Longside. McCall tried a shot but his effort crashed off the bar before it was cleared.

Butcher had a half chance when he took the ball round Stark but he fired the ball into the side netting. Butcher did get his name on the scoresheet in 78 minutes when he was put clear by Duncan and he guided the ball past Stark. Butcher again took a pass from Porter but his shot was blocked before it was cleared upfield. Thomson made a fine save to block a shot from Murray.

In the closing minute Shand beat the offside trap but Donaldson got back to clear his shot off the line.

This Saturday Longside are again at home to St Anthonys in the Fly Emirates Scottish Junior cup.(ko 2.30pm).

Longside: Thomson, Black, Bruce, Donaldson, Beddie, Cardno, Little, Norris, Duncan, Usher and Stainton. Subs: Weir, Porter, Butcher, Panton and N.Davidson.