Sheran is pleased with 90-minute performance

editorial image
Share this article

BLUE Toon boss John Sheran took some positives from Saturday’s game against Brechin as his side battled away to get a point from the encounter at Balmoor.

Sheran admitted it was the first time that he had witnessed a 90-minute performance from his side since taking over from Neale Cooper adding that Peterhead were unlucky not to come away with all three points.

A saved penalty 15 minutes from the end could come back and haunt Peterhead as the game ended all square.

A win was almost essential to keep the Blue Toon in with a realistic chance of escaping the drop as Stenhousemuir netted a late equaliser at East Fife to also grab a share of the spoils.

With both team hit by injuries and suspensions, the patched up line-ups looked on course for a closely fought encounter from the off and a draw was probably about right although the Blue Toon had their chances to win after the break, that penalty miss apart.

After the game Sheran indicated Paul Tosh was the nominated penalty taker but it was Strachan who took the responsibility for the spot kick and his effort was pushed onto the post by Nelson who then gathered the rebound.

Speaking after Saturday’s game Sheran said: “We had the chance to clinch the match and on a different day we might have had the break to take all three points, but that’s football,” he said.

“Brian was really confident about taking the penalty but you just never know about these things and on another occasion it might have gone in for us.

“You have to remember that Brechin are at the top end of the league so it was pleasing to get something out of the game.

“However, we live to fight another day and we just need to get that first illusive win under our belts to try and put the pressure on Stenhousemuir.”

Meanwhile, news emerged at the weekend that Stenhousemuir are facing an SFA probe over fielding an ineligible player.

The club has been summoned to an SFL board of management meeting on Thursday when they will discuss claims that the Warriors fielded recent signing Brian Gilmour ineligibly in three Second Division games as a trialist during which time they earned five points.

The former Rangers youngster was released by Lincoln City at the end of last season and played on a trial basis for David Irons’ side against Peterhead, Ayr United and Dumbarton in the last week of March.

It is believed that international clearance from the English FA should have been in place before Gilmour took the field in these matches in which the Warriors picked up a win over Ayr United and two draws.

The ninth-placed Ochilview club currently sits six points clear of Peterhead in the automatic relegation place and five behind Alloa in the race to avoid the play-offs.

A spokesperson at Ochilview said, “We do not believe this to be a big issue. In our opinion Brian was not registered anywhere and was free to play in the games.”