Share of the points for Peterhead and Airdrie

Peterhead's Rory McAllister celebrates his goal.
Peterhead's Rory McAllister celebrates his goal.
Share this article

sfl league one

A point gained or two 
dropped ? That was the 
question after this match finished all square.

Mark Millar and Scott Fraser challenge.

Mark Millar and Scott Fraser challenge.

Missing four players through suspension and six injured meaning a meager bench of teenage outfield players, the Peterhead squad were down to the bare bones with many that started not fully fit.

Under the circumstances, before the match a point would have been undoubtedly acceptable.

However, as the players left the pitch at the end having dominated the second half and hit the woodwork twice, the feeling was that two points had slipped through their fingers.

Jamie Redman, Steven Noble and Jordan Brown were serving the second of their two match suspensions after the flurry of red cards at Dunfermline with Andy Rodgers banned as a result of a twitter comment in the aftermath.

Peterhead's Reece Donaldson is brought down in the box by Scott Gray.

Peterhead's Reece Donaldson is brought down in the box by Scott Gray.

Add to that a catalogue of injuries and manager Jim McInally’s side performed remarkable well throughout the 90 minutes.

The Blue Toon had a good chance to take the lead after nine minutes, Nick Riley cutting the ball across the penalty area from the right only for Rory McAllister to scuff his shot wide. Riley himself then went close driving a shot across goal that was deflected out for a corner kick.

At the other end Airdrie should have scored them selves.

First Scott Fraser turned but shot wide from close range after 14 minutes then Scott Gray inexplicably fell over with the goal at his mercy after bursting into the area.

A goal was always on the cards and the breakthrough came for the home side in the 33rd minute, McAllister latching onto a ball from midfield to score from 12 yards with the Diamonds claiming a foul on one of their players in the process but not given.The visitors were level five minutes before the break when they were awarded a penalty.

Dean Richardson has played very few minutes this season and whether his lack of match fitness was a factor or not, he clumsily bundled over James Lister with Keigan Parker making an immaculate job from the spot.

The second half was saw Airdrieonians camped in their own half for most of it and Peterhead did everything but score.

Early on McAllister saw a shot saved by Andrew McNeil with the keeper then grabbing the shot on the rebound from Riley. Ross Smith struck the right hand post with a shot from the left side of the area then Riley set up McAllister with a neat cut back and the striker had his low shot well saved by McNeil.

Reece Donaldson went down under a challenge that many saw as similar to the one that resulted in an Airdrie penalty but this time nothing was given.

When Scott Ross sent a shot off the underside of the crossbar late on following a goalmouth melee, it was clear that a goal just wasn’t going to come but despite that long list of absentees, a draw really should have been a victory.

PETERHEAD: Smith, Richardson (Tait 75), Donaldson, Smith, Ross, Strachan, Stevenson, Cox, McAllister, Riley, Millar. Subs (unused): Jarvie, Reid, Blair