Second half Blue Toon collapse as Stenny claim all three points

Peterhead's Rory McAllister is fouled by Stuart Malcolm.
Peterhead's Rory McAllister is fouled by Stuart Malcolm.

Kieran Millar slid home a 68th minute winner to complete a remarkable Stenny fightback at the weekend, denying Peterhead a share of the spoils in a fantastic game.

After the Warriors had come back from 3-0 down, the former Hamilton kid received a perfect pass from Jason Scotland and kept commendable composure to stroke under Graeme Smith for what proved to be the winner.

Peterhead’s opener came in the in the 13th minute when Nicky Riley was allowed to advance up the left before finding McAllister unmarked on the edge of the box.

The prolific McAllister is the last man who should be allowed space in that area and the striker duly took full advantage by slotting past Jamie Barclay with aplomb.

Just after the half hour mark McAllister hit his second from a 25 yard free-kick and when he completed his hat-trick seven minutes later from the penalty spot after he had been fouled by Stuart Malcolm in the box, it looked all over. Two minutes from the break, however, the fightback began when Colin McMenamin took advantage of a loose Smith clearance to superbly flight over the minder into the net.

As happened the previous week against Ayr, the Warriors were transformed following the restart, but unlike then, the performance was rewarded. With 59 minutes on the clock Jason Scotland rifled into the net from close range following an excellent passage of play involving himself, Alan Cook and McMenamin and when Scotland levelled with a ripping 20 yarder into the top corner seven minutes later, the impossible became the probable.

Millar completed the astonishing comeback two minutes later and when the Blue Toon’s Cammy Kerr was red-carded for a horrific tackle on home sub Anthony Marenghi well into injury time, the ribbon was already wrapped round the three valuable points.

Speaking after the game, Blue Toon boss Jim McInally said he was frustrated with his side who had wasted a 3-0 lead.

“Being 3-0 up it was a sore one to take but class came through in the end with the goals from Jason Scotland,” he said.

“We were comfortable for the majority of the first half but when we lost the goal right before half-time that changed the momentum of the game. It gave Stenny a lift to turn the game on its head.”

PETERHEAD: Smith, Kerr, Ross, Gilchrist (Blockley 35), Noble: Ferry (Sutherland 73), Redman, Strachan, Riley (McIntosh 67), McAllister, Brown. Subs (unused): Jarvie, Dzierzawski, Ferries, Rodgers.