Scottish Cup action for Welfare sides

Share this article

New Pitsligo travelled to face Scottish Cup holders Oakwood from the Forth Valley league in the third round of the competition.

The home side went in front on 14 minutes, but the away side drew level on 25 minutes when a McCluskey cross was headed home by manager Gibby Stephen.

Five minutes later the away side took the lead when a Scott Duncan free kick from 35 yards eluded everyone and nestled in the bottom corner of the net.

Hitman Neil Christie put Pitsligo further ahead on 36 minutes to give them a two goal lead. The home side came out firing in she second half and Simpson in the away goal pulled off a great save.

On 55 minutes the home side pulled one goal back and showed why they are the Cup holders and Forth Valley League Leaders. They laid siege to the Pitsligo goal gaining corner after corner trying to find another goal but the away side defence stood firm and were well Marshalled by Simpson and his defence Harley, Wisley and Buchan.

Bellslea travelled to FC Buckie and after the first ten minutes both teams were thinking of stopping the game due the adverse weather but it eased enough to get the match played.

The away side took the lead just before the interval with a good header from Lee Noble. Into the second half Buckie were awarded a penalty and it was fired home to draw them level.

It stayed that way until 70 minutes when Arron Gall leashed a shot from the edge of the box into the back of the net.

With 10 minutes remaining against the run of play the home side drew level once more.

The tie went into extra time and five minutes into the second half Bellslea struck the winner when a Mackie free kick was swung in and lee Noble netted his second and Bellslea’s third to win the tie.

Clinton Thistle played host to Westcliff from the Central Welfare. The away side took the lead and then added a second with the assistance of a strong wind. It stayed that way until half time.

Clinton pressed forward with the wind behind them and pulled one back when a Daniel Kewley cross blew over the away keeper.

Scott Milne drew the home side level after a good passing move with three players and he fired home. Clinton sealed the tie with another good passing move which ended with Daniel kewley netting his second and the home side’s third.

In another third round tie was an all NESFA affair with St Combs having home advantage over New Deer. T

he home side took the lead on 12 minutes when a cross came in from the left and Eric John West headed down to John Smith who had an easy task of giving St Combs the lead.

New Deer hit back and drew level when Willie Robbie fired home the equaliser. New Deer kicked of the second half and played the ball backwards and EJW closed down the defender and the ball was cleared as far as Dan Callaghan who played in John Smith and his first time shot hit the net.

Smith got his hatrick five minutes later when a low cross fell to him at the edge of the box and he fired home. Joseph Dollman completed the scoring.

This was an amazing feat for the NESFA teams to get four teams through to the Quarter Finals.

Fixtures for Saturday, January 28: Elizabethan Lounge Cup semi-finals - St Combs v Clinton Thistle; New Pitsligo v Invercairn United (kick-off 1.30pm).