Refs win Daniel match

editorial image
Share this article

BUCHAN Welfare League referees took on a Select team in a fundraising match in aid of the Daniel Gallagher Fund at the weekend and raised just over £260.

In an entertaining match, the Referees ended up winning by the odd goal in seven.

The Select took the lead on five minutes with a goal from Michael Ure, but the Refs hit back and Dale Nicol hit a terrific drive which came back off the post.

The Select then doubled their lead when a William Filson shot took a wicked deflection and into the top corner of the net past the helpless Patterson.

On 27 minutes the Refs pulled a goal back when a corner was swung in and Michael Milne rose to head home. The same played helped the Refs to draw level when he took a quick throw in and the ball fell to Dale Nicol who fired into the back of the net with keeper Taylor stranded.

A Filson shot was heading for the top corner of the net but Patterson made a brilliant save and he made another stop from a Duncan shot.

At the other end John Eden tested Taylor in the Select goal and he made a fine stop.

From another Refs corner Dale Nicol fired them ahead for the first time.

On 65 minutes Kenny Milne was played in on the left and he shot under the out-rushing keeper Taylor to give the Refs a two-goal lead.

On 75 minutes the Select were awarded a penalty and up stepped Filson and he blasted high over the bar.

A good move by the Refs finished with a Derek Taylor cross which nearly caught out keeper Taylor but he got back in time to push over the bar.

Michael Milne came to the rescue for the Refs when he cleared a ball off the line from a Ure corner.

The Select pulled one goal back when a corner was swung across to the back post where Filson headed in.

The last chance of the match went to Kenny Milne who put over the bar from close range.

The teams have expressed thanks to John Ligertwood and Peter Grant for arranging the match and to all players, referees and Longside FC which provided sandwiches for after the match.