Quines success

editorial image
Share this article

The 17s Quines team from Buchan Girls and Ladies FC have just returned home to Aberdeenshire as Winners in the 2012 Liverpool Knowsley Cup.

The core of the team have played together for the past five years and have won many League and Cup titles.

They won the Knowsleys sister tournament in Loch Lomond 2011 and have previously reached the final stages in both the A and B select groups in Sweden’s Gothia Youth World Cup.

After moving up to 17s a year early, they are currently sitting first in the SWFA North Regional league.

The Girls are a great bunch of committed players who are a credit to their Club and Ladies football.

They are now looking forward to their next big game, which is away to Rangers FC in the SWFA Henson Scottish Cup on Sunday (August 19).

The Girls have expressed thanks to the following companies for helping them with their travel costs to the tournament. They proudly wore their ‘tour t-shirts’ while on our trip displaying the names of all companies on the back and will continue to do so at training and local games at home.

Simpsons Coaches Rosehearty (Kit)

John Duthie, Navada Bobs (kit)

Cheers, Cafe Bar & Tavern

Stewart & Watson

Youngson Insurance Consultants

Stuart W Thomson, Plumbing

Stephen Duncan, Heating & Plumbing

Caley Fisheries

Maritime developments

A.R Demolition

H.M Joinery LTD

Westward Fishing company

Rex M Hunter

North East Timber Supplies

Pheonix LTD

Tyco Fire & safety

Mace, Rosehearty

Leiper & Summers


W Whyte Cranes

Alex Strachan Electrical Services

LTD Buchan Quines v Sligo Leitrim League

The Quines started their Liverpool Knowsley Cup tournament with a Celtic Cup tie against a strong Irish League side.

The Irish girls opened the scoring after only 4 minutes when a quick break down the left ended with the ball being driven low into the net.

Buchan responded well and were unfortunate not to equalise when Sophie Anderson rattled the crossbar with a header.

Minutes later Danica Ritchie also hit the bar with a header and you wondered if it was going to be one of those days.

But the Quines did manage to equalise when Hannah Stewart smacked the ball low into the net.

Despite Buchan having the majority of possession they couldn’t find a winner and thanks to some resolute Irish defending the match ended 1–1.

And so to penalties – Hannah, Louise Brown, Danica and Shona Brown all scored from the spot while Chloe Garvock saved twice to see the Quines run out 4–3 winners and lift the first trophy of the week.

Buchan Quines v Kinmel Bay

The second match saw Buchan line up against their Welsh opponents, Kinmel Bay, looking to get off to a good start in the group stages.

In a stuffy match in which neither side really got the ball down and passed it, Buchan scored the only goal of the game midway through the first half with a fine individual goal from Louise Brown. Not the best game but three points and a win.

Buchan Quines v St Ann’s Rovers

In the third match Buchan knew a win against local side St Ann’s would see them compete in Sunday’s final.

Buchan upped their game from the previous day and ran out comfortable winners. A hat-trick from Sophie Anderson and a double from Louise Brown saw them run out 5 – 0 winners against their English opponents.

Buchan Quines v Birkdale United

In the final Buchan lined up against local side Birkdale United who had also won both of their group matches. Buchan started slowly and fell behind when a quick break from a Buchan corner saw the Birkdale number 8 run 40 yards before slipping the ball past Chloe Garvock and into the net. Buchan almost equalised when a ball across the six-yard box found Sophie Anderson at the far post but her shot cleared the bar.

The half time whistle saw Buchan trudge towards the sideline knowing they hadn’t really started yet.

The second half saw a different Buchan team altogether and they started passing the ball quicker and with more confidence.

And within 5 minutes of the re-start Buchan equalised when Danica Ritchie played a terrific pass through the defence for Hannah Stewart to run on to and score with a shot across the keeper.

The goal lifted Buchan and they continued to attack with the midfield breaking up play and linking well with the strikers.

In defence Buchan looked strong (as they did all through the competition). Buchan extended their lead when Sophie flicked the ball into the path of Hannah and she made no mistake, driving the ball into the bottom corner.

Chloe then made sure of a clean sheet by pulling off a terrific one handed save and then calmly collecting the loose ball.

At the final whistle there were jubilant scenes as the Quines collected their second trophy and winners medals.