Poor first half effort kills off Maud hopes

A poor first half performance cost Maud dearly as they succumbed 4-3 to New Elgin in the PMAC GroupS uperleague.

Maud had to make a few changes to the line up with six players missing but they started the first half with a bang when they took the lead on five minutes.

Hale received the ball on the edge of the box, went past a defender and curled the ball into the top corner of the net.

A minute though later it was all square with a bizarre goal as Maud defence tried to clear the ball it bounced back off the face of Alan Turner and spun towards goal and Barbour failed to hold the ball and it crept over the line.

Davidson came close for Elgin with a drive from outside the box which went narrowly wide of the goals.

A long ball forward to Hodge who held the ball up and then squared it to S. Robertson at the edge of the box but he fired well over the bar.

A quick break for the visitors and Connelly crossed to the back post where McKenzie header was tipped over the bar by Barbour.

Elgin took the lead on 20 minutes when a through ball split the Maud defence and Daniel Forde ran on to and slotted the ball past the advancing Barbour.

Worse was to follow for the home side as Daniel Forde scored again on 25 minutes to give the visitors a 2 goal lead.

Just on half time S. Robertson played Hale down the left and he sent in a brilliant ball across the 6 yard box but there were no takers.

The second half started and Rae was first to test the Wilkins in the away goal but he parried away his shot. Connolly played a ball over the Maud defence which Strathdee latched on to and he rounded Barbour in the home goal but saw his shot came back off the post.

The away side were awarded a penalty on 52 minutes after Bain had fouled inside the box and it was converted by McKenzie who sent Barbour the wrong way to make it 4-1.

S. Robertson made a long run down the left and his cross found Hale at the back post but he couldn’t get his header on target. Strathdee picked the ball up on the edge of the Maud box and went past 2 players and fired a low drive but Barbour easily saved. Maud pulled one goal back when they were awarded a freekick 20 yards from goal and Alan Hale curled his shot round the wall and into the net.

Maud were pushing forward now and a Fraser cross was just too high for Robertson at the back post.

A great run from S. Robertson down the left and he sent in a dangerous cross which was eventually cleared by Sim.

Fraser Hall then came close with a header. Fraser was played in on the right but he lacked composure and fired high over the bar.

Maud pulled another goal back on 86 minutes when a Donald Fraser freekick came back off the defensive wall and his left foot drive through a ruck of players found the bottom corner of the net.

Maud were pushing everyone forward looking for the equaliser but just ran out of time.

A poor first half performance cost Maud dearly, but they played a lot better in the second half especially in the last 20 minutes where they put the visitors under a lot of pressure but failed failed to find an equaliser.

Next Saturday Maud are again at home in the PMAC Superleague against East End with a 2pm kickoff.

Maud would like to thank match sponsor Jayse Construction of New Deer for their continued support.

Maud: J Barbour, Ritchie, Hall, Bain, Simpson, Rae, Chalmers, S Robertson, Hale, Hodge, FraserSubs: Reid, S Bremner, Stott, McKinnon