Plenty of weekend action in Welfare League

Share this article

IN the North East Scotland Welfare League, Clinton Thistle faced New Pitsligo for the second time in five days and it was the away side that started the better and came close with shots from Michael Stephen and Christie.

It took a last ditch tackle from Best to prevent Jamieson scoring for Pitsligo.

The away side took the lead on 12 minutes when a Luke Reekie shot was saved by Summers but Reekie followed up to score.

Clinton were struggling to create anything until 41 minutes when Gilbert Patterson Jnr did well on the right and his cross was met by Simon Whyte who smashed home.

Into the second half and Stephen found himself in on goal and he made no mistake to give the visitors the lead again. Clinton hit back after a mistake by Alexander in the away goal left Jamie Martin an easy finish to level the match once more.

On 55 minutes another mistake by the away keeper let in Jamie Martin in to give Clinton the lead.

Clinton were awarded a penalty after Whyte was adjudged to have been fouled and then Wisley was mystified when he was shown the red card. Gilbert Patterson Jnr converted the penalty.

Barbour was sent off for the home side after two cautions and with five minutes left on the clock Michael Stephen pulled one back for Pitsligo to end the scoring.

St Combs entertained Elizabethan Link up and it was the home side that went in front with a goal from Niall Buchan.

A half volley by Eric John West doubled their lead on 38 minutes. It stayed that way until half time then Joe Dollman with his first touch in the match made it 3-0.

The away side pulled one goal back through Craig Whylie straight from a free kick. Joe Dollman got his second and the home sides fourth goal to complete the scoring.

In a first round game in the Ship Inn League Cup Cheers had home advantage over New Pitsligo for the chance to face Clinton Thistle and it was the away side that progressed with a 4-2 win.

In the Highland Cup quarter-final, Faithlie United faced Tomatin for a place in the semis.

Manager Martin Buchan gave the home side the lead on eight minutes when he picked the ball up on the right and cut in and as everyone was waiting for the cross to come in he fired in at the near post.

The home doubled their lead on 38 minutes by the way of a own goal. Nathan Sandison made it 3-0 on the hour mark.

The home side did get a fourth goal and it was the best one as Sandison picked the ball up on the halfway line and ghosted past four players before lobbing the out coming keeper to end the scoring.

Fixtures for Tuesday, July 31:

Deejays Nightclub League - Clinton Thistle v Rosehearty Thistle.

Ship Inn League Cup quarter-final - Bellslea v Elizabethan Link Up (ko 7pm).

Wednesday, August 1:

Deejays Nightclub league - Faithlie United v New Pitsligo (ko 7pm).

Saturday, August 4:

Deejays Nightclub League - St Combs v Faithlie United; New Deer v Bellslea; Cheers v Mormond Thistle; St Drostans v Rosehearty Thistle (ko 2pm, Peterhead).