Peterhead get first win under their belt

An own goal and a Rory McAllister penalty in the first half was enough to give Peterhead their first competitive win of the season over Forfar.

The Peterhead line up remained largely unchanged from the end of last season with Scott Rumsby the only new signing slotting in at centre half.

Goalkeeper Fraser Hobday and full-back Hugh Samuels were the other new face in the line-up, starting on the bench.

Peterhead had the first real chance after just two minutes when Jamie Redman played in McAllister. Last season’s top scorer cut in onto his right foot but the shot was just narrowly wide of the near post.

Forfar responded five minutes later with a Gavin Swankie free kick from the edge of the box. The kick was sent just half a foot over the top of the cross bar.

McAllister had another half chance after 13 minutes before the opening goal. Nathan Blockley crossed the ball beautifully into the box which cause a serious problem for the Forfar defence, particularly Andy Munro who stabbed the ball into his own net from six yards.

The match quietened down a bit but after 32 minutes Peterhead had doubled their lead. Gavin Swankie brought down Nicky Riley in the area and the referee, after a few seconds of thought, awarded the penalty. Step up Rory McAllister who got his first of the season from the spot to make it 2-0.

The second half was a more timid affair for the majority. Josh Peters got the first chance for Forfar after 55 minutes with a hard drive from inside the box which was parried by Smith and cleared away.

Neither team looked like scoring until the 63rd minute when Jamie Stevenson capitalised on a poor clearance from a corner by Grant Adam. Stevenson hit a hard low shot through the crowded penalty area which the retreating Adam managed to stop with his legs.

Stevenson would get another opportunity three minutes later but again Adam was in the way to deny him.

Forfar got their best chance of the game after 75minutes. Stuart Malcolm, met Lewis Milne’s corner and headed down to Andy Munro. The centre half nearly redeemed himself after the first half own goal as his deflected shot came up and hit off the cross bar before going out.

Nathan Blockley and Jordan Brown both had chances for Peterhead in the last five minutes but both shot wide from promising positions.

The result puts Peterhead into second place and leaves Forfar in third in Group A. Table toppers East Fife will welcome Peterhead to Bayview on Saturday while Forfar will not be playing in the Betfred Cup this weekend.