Penalty drama as Toon get the better of Sons


A dramatic 90 minutes was followed by an equally dramatic, penalty shoot out that eventually saw Peterhead get the bonus point that they needed to take them automatically through to the last 16 of the League Cup.

This game was perfectly summed up by the phrase see-saw as the Blue Toon went in front before falling 3-1 down then mounted a comeback that saw the game finish at 3 apiece before a penalty shoot out that neither side seemed to want to win.

American Kevin Dzierzawski put the Blue Toon ahead after 16 minutes with a wonderfully worked goal. Neat interplay between Leighton McIntosh and Rory McAllister on the right side saw McAllister sweep between two home defenders the another before squaring to Dzierzawski who made no mistake from six yards for the perfect start knowing a win would guarantee top spot.

Back came the Sons though and the towering figure of ex Brechin striker Robert Thomson headed in the leveler five minutes later.

Dumbarton then went in front with another header, this time from David Smith nine minutes before half time.

Things were looking bleak as the visitors woodwork was rattled twice and Graeme Smith performed heroics to keep his side in the game.

With the second half just two minutes old they went further behind from a penalty, war horse Ryan Stevenson tucking the spot kick away after Fiacre Kelleher had committed a foul although also getting his foot to the ball first of all .

What was needed was Blue Toon guts and determination and that’s exactly what they delivered.

McIntosh lashed in from four yards following a scramble after a Steven Noble corner kick in the 57 th minute then the on fire McAllister was crudely chopped to the ground on the right side of the box before placing his spot kick in the impossible to save bottom left corner after 69 minutes.

Smith was kept busy as the shots reigned in whilst at the other end McAllister smacked the crossbar with a 25 yard free kick.

And so to the shoot out in the shadow of the famous Dumbarton Rock…

Smith brilliantly defied the first three spot kicks from the home side. McAllister and

Jamie Stevenson scored in style and all was going well until Ryan Strachan blazed over a shot that must have ended up in the river Clyde.

Dumbarton scored then Jordan Brown’s effort was saved. The Sons scored again and Peterhead missed again via Fiacre Kelleher and things were going horribly wrong.

Dzierzawski calmed matters with a cool finish, Dumbarton scored again, Nathan Blockley did likewise before hero Smith, no doubt shattered from his usual role between the sticks, sent his shot following Strachan’s out of the ground.

Immaculate efforts by Noble and the final one from Nicky Riley with another great save by Smith in between made sure.

Peterhead progressed albeit keeping their fans on the edge of their seats in the process and will now face an away trip to Ibrox in the next round of the cup.