Over 35s win

editorial image

THE annual charity match between the Over 35s v The Nesfa Referees was hotly-contested at the weekend.

The chosen charity was VICTA - Visualy Impaired Children Taking Action - with more than £400 raised so far.

Organisers would like to thank Cruden Bay Junior Football Club for the use of their park and for help selling raffles, also the Kilmarnock Arms Hotel in Cruden Bay for providing refreshments.

The match kicked off in a sunny but cold day and it was the referee keeper that was in action first saving a shot with his out stretched leg.

At the other end Davidson beat three players but fired his shot wide of the goals from the edge of the box. The same player gave the refs the lead on nine minutes when he unleashed a 20 yard shot high into the top corner of the net past Coyle.

Four minutes later it was all square after the over 35s were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box and Seivewright curled the free kick past the defensive wall and into the top corner of the net past Patterson.

M Eden should have put the refs back in front but Coyle made a good save. The refs got lucky when a Barry Crighton cross was fizzed across goal and M Milne stuck out a leag and it the deflected ball came flying back of his own crossbar and away.

Davidson had another chance for the refs but his shot went wide of the goals then M Cowe went down the left and his cross was perfect for M Buchan but his header went straight at Patterson in the refs goals.

Eric John West gave the Over 35s the lead after he was played in on goal, he calmly slotted the ball home. Coyle made a fine save from a Cusitor shot from 12 yards.

Crighton came close to extending the lead but Patterson made a fine save from his 25 yard shot. On 33 minutes EJ West was played in on goals but he put past the post from inside the six yard box.

Minutes later it was 3-1 to the over 35s when a cross from Mark Gordon was put in by Cowe.

The refs were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box and Cusitor curled the ball round the wall but Ral saved. Nicol had a shot from distance which went well wide of Rals goal.

The refs pulled one goal back when keeper Ral made a blunder and the ball ended up in his own net. Patterson made good stop from Cowe after the later was played through on goal.

The same player came close with a curling shot from the edge of the box which went narrowly wide. The refs drew level when a corner was swung across and Martyn Eden stabbed it home to level at 3-3.

Davidson made a good run from the half way ;line beating three players but shot wide of the goals. On 80 minutes Cowe played in Eric John West to score and give the over 35s the lead again.

A poor kick out by Ral and Cusitor hit a curling shot which was heading for the corner of the net but Ral made amends and pulled of a great save.

West got his hatrick when he beat Patterson in the refs goal from close range to end the scoring.