New Elgin fightback stuns Longside in league match

Share this article

junior football

Longside travelled to play New Elgin on Saturday in the PMAC group Superleague.

Shanks sent over a cross for the home side but MacDonald was on hand to deal with the danger. Marchi broke clear for Longside but his 25-yard shot went wide.

Danton did well to close down Elgin keeper McKnockiter and he could only clear the ball as far as Walker who played it to Duncan but the keeper got back to save his shot. The home side then had two corners in quick succession and from the second Donaldson got the ball clear.

Burgess looked to be in an offside position when he was played in but MacDonald made a brilliant save. A superb pass from Walker put Duncan clear and his first shot was well saved by the keeper before the ball was cleared upfield.

Danton then looked to have scored a perfectly good goal but play was pulled back for an infringement on the keeper.

Minutes later Danton had a chance again but his shot was blocked on the line before the home defence got the ball clear. The visitors survived a scare when Forde beat the offside trap and took the ball round MacDonald but Donaldson got back to help clear the danger.

Ewen Little picked up the ball in the 40th minute and from 30 yards out he blasted it into the top right hand corner of the net.

Minutes into the second half Forde had a great chance to level matters but he dragged the ball wide from ten yards. Longside made a change on the hour mark with Munro replacing Duncan.

New Elgin scored the equaliser in 63 minutes when Lee Shanks controlled the ball before firing it into the net.

Minutes later the home side scored again when Turner went clear on the right and from his cross Stuart Strathdee slammed the ball home.

A Buchan cross was played into the path of Marchi by Walker but his shot was straight at McKnockiter.

A Whyte cross found Danton but his shot hit the bar and went out for a goalkick. Strathdee tried a shot from 25 yards but his effort went high and wide. On the stroke of the final whistle a Burgess shot took a wicket deflection off Cammy Buchan giving MacDonald no chance.

It was back to earth with a bump for Longside. They were in front and should have kicked on from there but allowed the home side back into the game.

They will have to show the same hunger as they did against Banchory if they are to climb to safety. Longside paid the penalty for not getting a second goal and they had chances to add to their tally especially in the first half.

This Saturday Longside are away to near neighbours Maud in the PMAC Group Superleague, kick-off 2pm.

LONGSIDE: Davidson,

Donaldson, Buchan, Little, Daniel, Whyte, Walker,

Duncan, Danton and Marchi. Subs: Burr, Leiper, Butcher, Munro, Mair.