A much-improved Maud

The game between Fc Stoneywood and Maud was in doubt when the teams turned up to Polo Park due to frost, but following discussions with the officials the game finally kicked off.

Monday, 26th November 2012, 9:22 am

Maud made a few changes to their line up following last week’s disappointing display and there were starts for Kenny Mair, Scott Lynch and James Duguid.

The game started with Maud on the front foot, determined to push their hosts back and after only four minutes a high lofted ball into the Stoneywood area saw keeper Scott Goodbrand misjudge the flight and Duguid was unlucky with his little touch in front of the keeper with the ball going narrowly wide of the post.

It wasn’t long though before Maud were in front, the ball was played down their right to Jonathan Garden, he swept the ball across to the left where Mair put it back across to the right.

Bob Morrice collected it inside the penalty area before cutting back inside full back Ogstan to hit a left footed shot across the keeper and into the far side of the goal

Maud were calling all the shots and on 22 minutes Morrice again caused problems for the home defence when he collected the ball 40 yards from goal and ran straight towards the left.

Lynch made a great dummy run across Morrice to the right dragging the defenders with him leaving Morrice a clear shot at goal but Goodbrand did well to save low down.

With 10 minutes to the break, a ball down Maud’s right again found Morrice in space, his hight cross was into a dangerous area but no Maud players could capitalise.

Right on half time Maud got their deserved second when a great run by Mair resulted in a corner. It was initially defended by Stoneywood but only out to Morrice on the edge of the area and he smashed a lot shot past the keeper to double Mauds lead at the break.

Although Maud deserved their two-goal advantage, the management warned that an early goal for the hosts could make it a long second half, and so it proved.

The first action in the second half however almost saw Maud get the chance to extend their lead when Morrice was fouled in the area but the referee ignored the claims for a penalty.

Then, with five minutes gone, Stoneywood hit a long ball to Maud’s far post where ex-Maud player Derek McKechnie headed past Joe Barbour to half the deficit.

Immediately after, handbags on the edge of the area saw both Maud’s Ally Graham and Stevenson of Stoneywood sent off to reduce both teams to 10 players.

On the hour mark Duguid collected the ball just outside the hosts penalty area and hit a ferocious shot that keeper Goodbrand couldn’t hold, Garden just reached the ball but under pressure from the keeper and defence he shot over.

The game was now getting bogged down with both teams not able to assert themselves but McKechnie was causing problems down the Maud right and Morrice was a constant threat for the hosts.

With five minutes to go Maud should have increased their lead when a ball in by Frazer Hall found Mair, but, with only a defender facing him and Barbour, Morrice and Hale following up he decided to shoot himself but missed the target.

This was a much-improved performance from Maud and they fully deserved thepoints, firstly for their expansive first half display and secondly for the resilient second half which will leave the management team with a selection problem for next week’s game.

Next week Maud travel to Culter in the 2nd Round go the GA Inter Regional Cup with a 1.15pm Kick Off.

Maud: J. Barbour, Graham, Hall, Simpson, McBride, Rae, Garden, Morrice, Mair, Lynch, Duguid Subs Bain, Hale, Ritchie, Alexander, L.Barbour