Missed chances haunt Longside

Share this article

Longside travelled to play Ellon United on Saturday in the Superleague.

In the opening minute Simpson cut inside for the home side but he fired his shot wide. The same player did the same again minutes later but his low cross was cut out by Thomson.

With nine minutes gone a Simpson cross was met by McKinnon but he headed the ball straight at Thomson. The visitors took the lead three minutes later when they were awarded a free kick 25 yards out, Nico Marchi blasted the ball high into the net.

The Ellon goal had a lucky escape in 14 minutes when a Porter cross was spilled by Buchanan, Cardno and Marchi both had great chances to score but in the end a Cardno overhead kick was cleared over the bar for a corner. Whyte took the kick and Marchi was on hand to rifle the ball home.

The home side went up the park and more or less scored straight away when Michael Ralton was allowed to make his way into the Longside half before firing a shot past Thomson from 25 yards. A Porter cross was cleared for a corner with Whyte waiting to pounce.

Campbell beat the offside trap and ran clear but his shot was straight at Buchanan. At the other end Forsyth fired a long range shot high and wide.

Longside had a great chance to regain their two goal lead when a superb cross from Whyte found Campbell in front of goal but he miskicked it and the chance was gone. Ellon equalised in 43 minutes when a Ross Forsyth shot beat Thomson from the edge of the box.

Minutes into the second half a Cardno shot was well saved by Buchanan before the rebound was scrambled over the bar for a corner which came to nothing.

Ellon took the lead in the 50th minute when the Longside players stopped and claimed for offside, Keith Walker fired the ball into the empty net. Longside’s Park was shown a red card for something he said.

Porter did well to get to the byeline but his cross was cleared. The home side increased their lead when Thomson failed to hold onto a cross, Walker was on hand to stab the ball home.

Longside made a double substitution when Danton and Bruce replaced Davidson and Norris. Longside’s miserable day was complete when Marchi was shown a second yellow card and his team were then down to nine men.

A Bruce cross was met by Danton but his header crashed back off the crossbar. Thomson saved a Bailey shot at the second attempt.

This was a poor result for Longside who should have had the game sewn up at half-time but missed chances came back to haunt them. They will have to sort out the discipline because they are not going to win too many matches when players get sent off.

This Saturday Longside are at home to Lewis United in the Superleague, kick-off 1.30pm.

LONGSIDE: Thomson, Park, C.Davidson, Beddie, Black, Norris, Whyte, Cardno, Marchi, Campbell, Porter. Subs: Donaldson, Panton, Danton, Butcher, Usher, Bruce, Cook.