Maud triumph over Banks o’ Dee

Share this article

Maud enjoyed a 3-1 PMAC Group Superleague win overBanks O Dee on Saturday.

Banks went into this game as league leaders but this was an excellent performance by the home side team earning them all three points.

More to the point its shows that on their day Maud are more than a match for anyone.

Early on a long ball forward ended in a race with the away keeper Smith and S. Bremner which ended with Smith saving at the expense of a corner. A. Bremner then hit to the back post where Barbour could only hit the side netting.

Seven minutes in and the home side were claiming a penalty which the referee waived aside.

The visitors threatened down the left and McColl hit a shot from a tight angle which beat the home keeper Bruce but came back off the post.

The home side took the lead on the half-hour mark when an Andy Bremner corner was curled across and into the top corner of the net.

A McColl cross was well dealt with by Bruce at the front post. A Hale freekick from distance went close to doubling the home side’s lead but went just wide.

Hall then sent in a brilliant cross along the six-yard box but it was just too hard for the in rushing S Bremner.

A miss-timed pass by Hall then let in Anderson but his shot was well blocked by Robertson. Minutes later the same player made another timely block preventing Allan getting his shot away. Anderson had a shot from inside the box but it went just wide.

On 44 mins the away side drew level when Lyon hit a fierce cross ball which bounced off Ritchie and into the net.

Early in the second half Hale sent in a great ball from the right and Chalmers header went narrowly past the post.

Dee were twice awarded free kicks 25 yards out and Ritchie fired the first straight at Bruce then the second needed Bruce to push over the bar.

The home side regained the lead on the hour-mark when an A. Bremner curled in a cross which L. Barbour got his foot to the ball to guide it past the helpless Smith.

Maud made their first change with Fraser replacing Ritchie. At the other end McColl fired a ball across the six-yard box which everyone missed and it went out for a throw in.

Forsyth and Biskup combined on the right and Biskup’s cross was just too hard for Horne who came sliding in at the back post. The home side then made a second change with Morrice coming on for S Bremner.

A move between Fraser and Barbour let in Fraser to have a shot on goal but he scuffed the shot and the chance was gone.

Ten minutes from time Fraser was taken down in the box by Reid for a penalty. Fraser got up to take the penalty and he sent the keeper the wrong way to give Maud a 3-1 lead.

With five minutes to go Alexander came on for A Bremner. Biskup had a shot from the edge of the box which was brilliantly blocked by Robertson at the expense of a corner which Bruce managed to punch clear.

Reid nearly gifted Maud a goal when his pass back was too hard and went past Smith in the home goal but the big keeper got back just in time to clear. Last chance of the match fell to the away side when Croll had a free header inside the box but it hit the post and came back out into the keeper’s hands.

Maud’s next fixture is away v FC Stoneywood in the McLeman Cup 1st rd this Saturday 1.30 ko.

Maud: Bruce, Graham, Hall, Simpson, J Robertson, Ritchie, Chalmers, A Bremner, S Bremner, Hale, L BarbourSubs: Alexander, J Barbour, Bain, Morrice, Fraser