Maud through first round cup hurdle

Share this article

Maud celebrated another fine win away after beating rivals FC Stoneywood 2-0 in the first round of the McLeman Cup.

Maud had the first corner in the game swung in to the front post by Hall and Fraser connected but his header was cleared by Bain.

Graham was blatantly fouled by Strachan on the edge of the home penalty box in which the home side player was unlucky not to be cautioned.

Hall hit the freekick round the wall but the wrong side of the post. The home side then earned a freekick on the edge of the Maud box, Campbell fired in a low shot which Bruce got both hands to it to push wide of the goals.

Brown was played through on goals but a great last ditch tackle by Graham saved the day for Maud.

Good work by Fraser on the left and his cut back found A Bremner but his weak shot was easily cleared.

Campbell tried a shot from distance which well wide of the away goals. L Barbour tried a shot from 18 yards but it went straight at Goodbrand in the home goals.

A great ball down the left flank by Hall and Fraser did well to earn a corner which was gathered by Goodbrand which brought the first half to a close.

Maud started the second half well and a move by the Bremner brothers finished with S Bremner dragging his shot wide of the goals.

On 47 minutes Maud took the lead when S Bremner was fouled inside the penalty box.

For the second game in a row Donald Fraser stepped up and fired the ball low into the corner of the net to put the visitors ahead.

The visitors broke up field and Cromar played a ball through to Stainer but the striker couldn’t keep his shot on target.

The away side went two goals ahead on 57 minutes when a ball from A Bremner was played into the box for S Bremner and with Goodbrand coming out to clear; the ball broke off the keeper and left S Bremner with an empty net to score.

The away side had a big claim for a penalty after L Barbour beat two players on the left and his cut back looked like it was handled but the referee played on.

On 70 minutes Maud had a let off as Chalmers slipped which left Stainer in on goal but he fired wide.

A corner for the home side was floated across and cleared as far as the edge of the box and Still hit a terrific left foot shot which went narrowly past the post.

On 75 mins Maud made a double change with Conway and Duguid replacing Fraser and S Bremner. Barbour created a chance for Alexander but Goodbrand made a fine save at his front post.

The home side had the last chance of the game when Simpson crossed and Still’s header was tipped over the bar by Bruce.

Maud’s next fixture is at home v Hermes in the McLeman Cup this Saturday (February 1) 2pm ko.