Maud made to pay by bottom-of-the-league Banchory St Ternan

Maud arrived at Banchory in upbeat mood with the good conditions adding to the hope that a good performance could follow.

Unfortunately the performance that followed was unlike any Maud performance in a long time where they looked like a team of strangers and Banchory fully deserved their win.

Maud did push up from the kick off and after two minutes a free kick 25 yards from the home goal was taken by Allan Hale to the far post but no Maud players had gambled and the chance was gone. Only a minute later Maud’s fragile confidence was hit when a simple low pass through the inside right channel saw Biskup outmuscle Kevin Simpson to the ball and cooly slot it past Joe Barbour in the Maud goal to easily open the scoring.

A couple of minutes late Sean Bremner laid a ball across to Hale but his first time shot was saved by Irvine. Maud then struggled to put two passes together and Banchory’s commitment to get the three points showed as they slowly built up more pressure on the Maud goal.

On 24 minutes Banchory’s McGregor beat the defence on the left and only a fine save by Barbour prevented the home side adding to their advantage. He had to make another brilliant fingertip save again on 31 minutes and then two minutes later he could do nothing as a header came off the Maud post but it was cleared.

It only put off the inevitable second home goal when McGregor took the ball on the right, easily beat the defence and put his shot past a despairing Barbour to double Banchory’s lead.

Five minutes from half time a rare shot from Maud saw James Duguid shoot from 20 yards but it was well off target. Just before half time another effort by Hale was wide and so Maud went into half time not only two goals behind but looking a well beaten team already.

Maud did try to make amends for their poor first half performance and after two minutes of the 2nd half Hale did get a header in the box but it was wide.

As with the first half, Banchory’s tempo saw them ease into a three-goal lead within four minutes of the restart when a long ball from deep saw the home teams Biskup beat Russell McBride to the ball, he duly rounded the the Maud defender and homed in on goa.

Despite a valient effort from Barbour in the visitors goal, Biskep scored his second goal of the game to put the home team well in command.

A couple of minutes later Barbour had to make yet another goal denying save from Biskup as the home team were making the game look easy.

Their effort and pressing all throughout the game was commendable for a team bottom of the league and Maud simply had no answer. On the hour mark a couple of runs down Maud’s left by second half sub Dean Elrick saw well placed passes to another sub, Luke Barbour, give more urgency to Maud’s play and L. Barbours hold-up play was allowing Hale to come more into the game.

Both he and Jonathan Garden could have reduced the deficit within a couple of minutes but the goals didn’t come.

But Banchory seemed to weather that initial flurry from Maud and when the home teams sub Whelan score their fourth goal with 15 minutes to go, it really was game over for Maud.

Everyone at Maud conceded this was one of their worst performances for a long while and it must also be said that if Banchory continue to play with the belief they showed in the majority of this game they will soon climb out of the relegation places.

Maud now have to lick their wounds to face Deveronside in the quarter finals of the North Regional Cup at home next Saturday with a 2pm kick off.

Maud: J.Barbour, Graham, Hall, McBride, Simpson, Garden, Ritchie, Bremner, Duguid, Robertson, Hale Subs: Mair, Elrick, Alexander, L.Barbour, Lynch