Maud have no answer to Banks

Maud kicked off in perfect conditions and made their intentions clear by immediately putting Banks o Dee under sustained pressure.

After three minutes a ball into the opposition area was cleared but only to Jonathan Garden who shot from 20 yards but it was save by Stark in goal.

The pressure continued on nine minutes when Hale put a great low ball into the ‘dee area begging to be finished off but no Maud players could get to the ball and it ran through for a goal kick.

Greg Alexander was causing ‘dee plenty of problems down the home sides right and on 13 minutes the continued pressure finally paid off when Alexander again went past full back Thomson and put a ball into the danger area, just as Luke Barbour was about to score he was fouled from behind to give Maud a certain penalty.

Kevin Simpson, who had been so clinical on recent penalties, hit the shot low to Starks left hand side where he managed to palm it away, a bad miss and one that would prove to be crucial. On 16 minutes a free kick from 25 yards by Frazer Hall landed in the area where it seemed to bounce off Garden and then Simpsons shins but before they could get it under control it was hacked clear.

Banks o Dee were regrouping and Mauds attacking play was becoming more sporadic and this was highlighted when a sustained few minutes of opposition pressure saw a long ball over the Maud defence where Jack collected the ball but seemed to let it run away from him, unfortunately Joe Barbour mistimed his challenge and fouled Jack just inside to area to give ‘dee a penalty.

Unlike Maud, Hunter dispatched the spot kick which saw Joe Barbour almost save low at the base of his right hand post but the ball beat him to see Banks o Dee open the scoring.

Within 2 minutes Maud were 2 goals down when the defence seemed all at sea when a simple cross from their left went over Joe Barbour in goal and seemed to be lost by McBride and McCall pounced to give the visitors a 2 goal cushion.

Five minutes from half time Maud were in total disarray at the back and only a fine save by Barbour and two goal line clearances kept Maud in the game. The half time whistle went with Maud glad to get the change to regroup.

From the kick off Bob Morrice won the ball on the left and ran at the visitors defence, laying off the ball to Allan Hale nut his shot was wide. To show Banks o Dee were still a threat, Joe Barbour had to make a good save on 52 minutes from a McCall shot from the edge of the area. On 60 minutes Maud got back into the game when they won a corner which was played across to the far post by Morrice where Garden finished off with a fine header to reduce the deficit.

Unfortunately Maud were unable to capitalise and even the introduction of Mair, Lynch and Davidson failed to produce any meaningful shots on target. On 75 minutes Morrice again broke down the left but his final shot was blocked for a corner that came to nothing.

With Maud not really threatening the visitor defence it was inevitable that Banks o Dee would score angin and with 5 minutes left they tied up the 3 points when a weak goal kick by Barbour only landed at the feet of the visitors midfield who played it straight back to McCall who rounded Barbour to score his 2nd and the visitors 3rd goal.

Maud finished this game extremely dispirited knowing that other than the first 15 minutes, when they looked like they would get the 3 points, they flattered to deceive and what started off with so much promise finished in disappointment.

Maud have to pick themselves up for another tough League game next week away against FC Stoneywood with a 1.30pm kick off.

Maud: J. Barbour, Graham, Hall, Simpson, McBride, Rae, Garden, Morrice, Alexander, Hale, L.Barbour Subs Bain, Mair, Duguid, Davidson, Lynce