Maud denied win by cruel decisions

Kicking-off their first league game of this season Maud went in with some good expectations.

Playing attacking football Maud created a couple of good chances within the first few minutes but couldn’t find the back of the net.

Time and time again Maud were denied advantage by some weird descisions by the referee and his assistants.

Culter picked up the tempo and forced a corner but the cross in was well defended and cleared. Bouncing back Culter won a free kick about 25 yards out on the right side of the pitch which was crossed in but cleared upfield by Maud only to be caught offside on the break.

In 15 minutes Culter got the break they were looking for. From a long throw-in from the right the ball was cruelly headed in to goal by Barbour for an own goal.

Play went from end to end as Maud upped their game, desperate to pull back the equaliser.

Maud won a free kick just outside the 18-yard box which was blasted into the wall and the rebound out was fired in wide of target.

Some good play down the left by player manager Hale finished off with his final shot being blocked.

Keeping up the pressure Maud won another free kick but the chance was wasted.

Finally Maud got the equaliser they deserved from a well-worked move starting from Hale on the left onto Rae whose knock-on to Barbour was well finished off in the 35th minute.

Maud kept Culter on the back foot and in the dying minutes of the first half Maud nearly took the lead when a cross in from Hale on the left was hit in low but no takers to finish off.

Culter attacked straight from the re-start and catching .J Barbour out of goal try and lob the ball in but an alert Simpson saved Maud’s blushes.

Maud’s Morrice made a good run into the 18-yard box but was sythed down by Culter’s defence only to be booked for diving.

Culter broke up the right wing and with J. Barbour committed the ball was lobbed over and the incoming striker finished off only for the goal to be chalked off for being ofside.

Maud eventually took the deserved lead when an excellent crossed in ball from the free kick was fumbled clear by the keeper only for Lynch to bundle the ball over the line in 62 minutes.

This was to be short lived when only four minutes later Culter were awarded a penalty that only the assistant on the far side saw.

Up stepped McAllister and duly converted the spot kick.

Culter regained the lead in the 74th minute when Maud’s defence switched off allowing McAllister to work his way through and send in a low shot to the right inside the far post leaving J Barbour helpless.

Maud pressured Culter and had several chances to regain level scoring but the final touch was missing.

Culter then resorted to time wasting as Maud kept coming forward desperate for the equaliser all to no avail.

Finally the final whistle went and Maud finished second best and feeling they were deprived of the points by poor descisions from the officials.

Maud are away to Longside on Saturday in what will be the decider in their Grill League Cup group with a 2pm kick-off.

MAUD: Barbour, Gray, Hall, Simpson, Ross, Rae, Hale, Morrice, Ritchie, Barbour, Lynch. subs Duguid, Reid, Mair, Bain, A Bremner