Maud battle hard to earn a draw

Maud JFC fought hard for points against FC Stoneywood in their PMAC Group Superleague match battle on Saturday.

The match kicked off in terrible conditions but Maud created the first chance when S Bremner found space on the right and he cut in and fired a low shot which S Goodbrand got down well to save.

Maud keeper Barbour was called into action when he came sliding out to block at the feet of Taylor.

Simpson made a timely tackle preventing Campbell getting his shot away.

Campbell crossed for Stephenson whose shot went just past the post. Maud had a great chance to take the lead after Barbour played in Alexander but he dragged his shot narrowly past the post.

A Graham freekick was flighted to the back where and it was met by Simpson who couldn’t keep his header on target.

Campbell made a dashing run down the left and he cut inside and fired a fierce shot which Barbour handled well.

Fraser made a good run to the edge of the visitors box, went past two defenders but Bain came in to make an excellent tackle preventing Fraser getting his shot away.

Maud started the second half better and came close to opening the score but Barbour’s shot went wide.

At the other end, Ogston came close with a shot from distance. The visitors should have opened the scoring on 50 minutes after good work on the right by Taylor who then crossed for the unmarked Campbell whose header came back off the post.

Maud were then denied a penalty after S Bremner played a 1:2 with Fraser inside the box and Cromar held back Bremner but the referee waived aside their claims.

Stuart should have opened the scoring for the visitors when Taylor crossed and Stuart had an empty goal to score in, but somehow managed to fire wide of the goals from close. The visitors were then awarded a penalty after Robertson slipped and fouled inside the box, Campbell drilled the penalty home.

A Cromar freekick from the right was floated in and Barbour did well to punch clear.

S Bremner sent in a dangerous cross which was cleared by Cromar. A Hall freekick was deflected wide for a corner which was swung across and found Robertson at the back post unmarked but he couldn’t keep his shot on target from 6 yards.

A Bremner then replaced the injured Fraser. A Clever freekick by Rae who played a ball down the side of the defensive wall to Graham whose shot was turned round the post by S Goodbrand for a corner.

A Bremner curled the ball in and Simpson headed goalwards and Barbour nipped in to poke the ball home to level the score. Hodge came on to replace S Bremner. Maud pushed for a winner but time ran out and had to settle for a point.

This was a match played in good spirit and as the game wore on it looked like one goal would win all three points.

After going down a goal, Maud made a spirited comeback with Midfield Mikey Rae leading the way.

The home side had the better of the game in the first half with the visitors having the better in the second half.

A draw was a fair result played in shocking conditions.

Maud’s next game is in the PMAC Superleague away against Hermes on Saturday, November 9, 2pm ko.