Match of the day failed to live up to its expectations

Peterhead's Steven Noble tackles Michael Moffat.
Peterhead's Steven Noble tackles Michael Moffat.

This much anticipated Division One match of the day failed to live up its expectations, certainly on the goal scoring front, although the point apiece kept both managers fairly happy.

As often happens when two on-form sides, both banging in the goals, meet, they cancel one another out and that’s what happened in this encounter but the draw extends the Peterhead unbeaten run to ten games.

Dunfermline's Brad MacKay and Shane Sutherland scrap.

Dunfermline's Brad MacKay and Shane Sutherland scrap.

The windy weather played its part but both teams had chances, especially Dunfermline after the break, but the fans were left to guess what might have been if their respective sides had been more ruthless.

In front of a bumper crowd, it was the Blue Toon who had the better of the first half despite the visitors having most of the ball early on.

Manager Jim McInally stuck with the same line up that so impressively beat Stranraer the previous week with Rory McAllister recovering from a knee injury to make the starting line-up.

Jamie Stevenson was the first to test the Pars goal with a long-range daisy cutter that keeper Sean Murdoch did well to turn away to his right.

At the other end Dunfermline’s best chance was created by some dithering in the Peterhead rearguard.

Scott Ross failed to clear and Michael Moffat nipped in only to see his shot blocked by the chest of Graeme Smith.

The second half saw the Pars dominate.

And they really should have scored at least once, which the way the game developed, would probably have been the winner.

A rare Peterhead threat saw substitute Leighton McIntosh go on a dazzling run ending with a ferocious shot that went narrowly over midway through the second period.

All in all, a point that both managers admitted was well earned although both felt had chances been taken, the win could have been snatched.