Mambos snatch cup final victory

editorial image
Share this article

THE first real chance of the match fell to Buchan who had a clear sight of goal but he could not get his shot on target. Bain then was sent clear but he blasted wide of the target.

Mambos had a break up field halted by Forman. Hatton took the lead on 21 minutes when James Bain was played down the right and his cross was deflected into his own net by Kevin Norris.

A few minutes later it was all-square after Brown collected the ball from a throw-in and he went past two players before firing under Hatton keeper Park. Buchan had a shot from a tight angle but Watson got down to his near post to gather.

Mambos went in front when Fraser crossed and Alan Stephen’s shot curled over Park and into the top corner of the net. Just on half time Mambos extended their lead when a cross was foaled in and Cluiet was on hand to chest the ball into an empty net.

At the start of the second half Cluiet thought he had scored again but it was ruled offside. The same played had another chance but his lobb went past the post.

At the other end Timmins cleared off his own goal line and then a shot by Buchan was deflected just over the bar.

Watson in the away goal made a good stop from a Forman header. Buchan pulled a goal back for Hatton when he beat Watson to the ball and cut back inside his defender and slotted home into an empty net.

Brown had a chance to seal the win for Mambos but his lobb went over Park in the Hatton goal but it went aguishly past the post. Hatton pressed for the goal that would have put the tie into extra time but Mambos held firm.

This was a well fought game with the three officials handling the game very well. This was always going to be a close game and it was Mambos who just shaded it so congratulations to Barry Watson and his players.

Harbour Lights faced Longside Thistle in a league game and the visitors went on a goal spree winning by 7-1.

They were scored by Paul Ironside with a hatrick, Calum Davidson with a brace and one each Don Allan and Michael Murray.

Ardallie were playing hosts to Methlick and it was a seven-goal thriller with the home side winning by the odd goal in seven.

The home side scorers were Scott Bartlett with a brace and one apiece from David Heap and another substitute and replying for Methlick was Craig Troup with two and one from Garry Finnie.

Mambos were facing league leaders Phd Pensioners and it was the away side that took the lead with a goal from Neil Cameron. Alan Stephen drew the home side level with a penalty.

The same player hit the bar from 25 yards. In the 77the Minute McKenzie Geddes gave the away side the lead from the penalty spot. Neil Cameron scored another in the 84 minute and Graeme Wood completed the scoring in the 85 minute. Mambos finished the match with ten players after Aaron Laing was red carded.


League - Mambos 1, Phd Pensioners 4; Ardallie 4, Methlick 3; Harbour Lights 1, Longside 7.

Hatton Cup final - Mambos 3, Hatton 2.

Fixtures for Wednesday, July 13:

Methlick Cup quarter-final -Hatton v Phd Pensioners (kick-off 7pm).

Thursday, July 14:

League - Mambos v Ardallie.

Cuminestown Cup quarter-final -

Cuminestown v Longside (kick-off 7pm).

Saturday, July 16:

Gordon Leask Memorial Cup semi-

final - Clinton Thistle v Hatton (kick-off 2pm).