Longside stage fightback to take all three poins

Share this article

junior football



Longside welcomed Newmachar United to Davidson park on Saturday in the PMAC group first division east.

First chance went to the home side when Weir tried a shot from 25 yards but his effort went well over the bar.

Burrows then had a chance for Newmachar when he got on the end of a high ball into the box but he headed the ball wide.

The visitors took the lead in ten minutes when Neale Oort was sent clear and he showed good strength before firing the ball past McGarva.

Longside had the ball in the net minutes later but the referee ruled out for offside. A dangerous ball into the Longside penalty area was punched clear but only as far as Burrows but he sent his header straight at McGarva.

The home side drew level in 23 minutes when Sean Butcher was felled by Newmachar keeper Findlay inside the box, the striker got up to make no mistake from the box.

Two minutes later Newmachar regained the lead when a corner was headed on by Meldrum for Andrew Graham to head home from close range.

With 36 minutes gone Ramsay put over a teasing cross for McIntosh at the far post but he couldn’t direct his header on target.

Carr had a great chance to level matters when he got on the end of a Ramsay cross but he headed the ball wide.

Shewan replaced the injured Jamieson at the start of the second half.

The Longside response was immediate when Paul McIntosh got on the end of a Weir pass and his shot was blocked by Findlay but the ball spun into the net.

Longside took the lead in 54 minutes when a Shewan shot was saved by Findlay, Butcher got to the ball first and he played it to McIntosh and his first shot was blocked by Findlay but he followed up to score.

Newmachar equalised in 65 minutes when McGarva spilled a high ball into the danger area and following a goalmouth scramble Ross Durno forced the ball over the line.

Both teams forced corners as they went in search for a winner.

It was Longside who regained the lead in 88 minutes when Butcher rose inside the six-yard box to head home a Mackie corner.

The visitors were then reduced to ten men when Burrows was shown a second yellow for something he said to the referee.

Newmachar were not finished yet as they went in search of the equaliser by forcing a corner.

From the corner Jamie Ramsay was sent clear on the counterattack for Longside and he ran the length of the pitch before rounding keeper Findlay to cap a fine performance from him by making the game safe.

This was a welcome and much needed three points for Longside.

Hopefully the whole team can draw some confidence from this result and carry it into the next game which will be at home on Saturday, to East End in the PMAC Group First Division East, kick-off 1.30pm.

LONGSIDE: McGarva, Dyce, Weir, Carr, Bain, Munro, Steele, McIntosh, Butcher, Jamieson and Ramsay.

Subs: Shewan, Fulton, Harris, L. Allan, Mackie.